Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

olap cube live connection

Can I create calculatesd measures with live connection in olap cube with Analisys Service? Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you connect to SSAS Multidimensional Models in connect live mode now ? Currently, only Tabular model supports to create report level measures in Power BI Desktop. For multidimensional cubes, you can't create any measures or calculated columns. You can see:

Connect to SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop

Analysis Services Tabular data in Power BI Desktop

Followings are the related ideas shared on Power BI Ideas forum. You can vote them up and add your comments there to improve Power BI in the feature. 

Calculated measures when live connected to MDX cubes

SSAS Get Data multiple data sources

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

We also submitted this feedback to the product group internally, so that the product group can pay attention to this problem and speed up the issue repairing.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@simone74

You can create measures when live-connected to OLAP cubes by following the steps:

- create a report connected live to the OLAP cube on the ssas server. 

- publish this report to the Power BI service and share the dataset. If the server is on-prem, you will have to use a gateway.

- create a report connected live to the shared dataset. Then in this report, you can create measures using DAX functions.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Would you like to create measure when connect to SQL Server Analysis services Database using Connect live mode? Based on my test, creating measure in this scenario is ok.

While it is not supported to implement full DAX expressions, only Report Level Measures, to learn more about report level measures, watch this great video from Patrick, and there is no Power Query transformations.

You can learn more: https://radacad.com/directquery-live-connection-or-import-data-tough-decision.

Please understand that this link is provided “AS IS” with no warranties or guarantees of content changes, and confers no rights.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for inerresting link.

But my proble is that the button New Measure is disabled, so I can' do anything.

My connection is dynamic connection with SSAS.

best regards

Simone

Hi,

Based on my test connecting to SSAS Tabular database using Connect live mode, creating a measure is ok. Please update Power BI Desktop to the latest version 2.69.5467.2151 , try it again.

5.png

Best Regards,

Amy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, my version of power BI is : 2.70.5494.562 64-bit (giugno 2019), but Ican't create new measure.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you connect to SSAS Multidimensional Models in connect live mode now ? Currently, only Tabular model supports to create report level measures in Power BI Desktop. For multidimensional cubes, you can't create any measures or calculated columns. You can see:

Connect to SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop

Analysis Services Tabular data in Power BI Desktop

Followings are the related ideas shared on Power BI Ideas forum. You can vote them up and add your comments there to improve Power BI in the feature. 

Calculated measures when live connected to MDX cubes

SSAS Get Data multiple data sources

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

We also submitted this feedback to the product group internally, so that the product group can pay attention to this problem and speed up the issue repairing.

Best Regards,

Amy

@simone74

You can create measures when live-connected to OLAP cubes by following the steps:

- create a report connected live to the OLAP cube on the ssas server. 

- publish this report to the Power BI service and share the dataset. If the server is on-prem, you will have to use a gateway.

- create a report connected live to the shared dataset. Then in this report, you can create measures using DAX functions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks.

In this way I can create only measures not add column. Right?

Yes. You cannot add columns, only measures. But you will also discover that an OLAP cube does not behave like a tabular one. In my experience, it's not possible to use time intelligence DAX functions, and when you refer to a column, you will need to refer to the key. I have used this feature to create dynamic title measures. Here is an example:

Selected Month = IF(HASONEVALUE('Invoice Date'[Month.Key0]),VALUES('Invoice Date'[Month]),"Many")

Another useful tool to explore the OLAP cube columns si DAX Studio.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.