Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KyleWilliamsBMI
Advocate II
Advocate II

numeric slider accepting input greater than amount allowed

Does anyone have any thoughts on why Numeric Slider input boxes might allow a user to enter a value greater or smaller than the values available in the column the Numeric slider is based on?  We would like to prevent this from occuring.
    For instance, in the Numeric slider shown below, based on the values in the column the Numeric Slider is based on, the user should only be able to enter values between 1 and 6 in the input boxes, however they are able to enter -100 and 100 as the min/max and the slider appears to update accordingly.  I have even tried to set the page level filters to only allow the 1 through 6 range, without luck  (not ideal as this data might change).
1) Slider Min/Max which should be allowed (only options which will return results)
minmax good.png
2) Slider with wrong values manually entered, even though min/max with non-blank values havn't changed:
minmax bad.png
Ideally, if a user added a value greater than the max value, the input slider would revert back to the largest option available after providing the end-user with an alert/explanation.  

Thanks for your thoughts!

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi  @KyleWilliamsBMI,

@KyleWilliamsBMI wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts on why Numeric Slider input boxes might allow a user to enter a value greater or smaller than the values available in the column the Numeric slider is based on?  We would like to prevent this from occuring.

By my tests and confirmed, this scenario you mentioned is by design.

However, the maximum and minimum values are based on the actual data range in the table, so the maximum and minimum values should be correct, regardless of whether the numbers in numerice Slicer are out of range.

For your idea, you could post it to Power BI idea Forum and add your comments to make this feature coming soon.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @KyleWilliamsBMI,

I am not sure if you are using the latest version of Power BI.

Because the one I am using (the latest version), the slider is automatically moving to the minimum and maximum value if I am supplying values out of the range

Regards,

Thejeswar

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.