Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

waleed111
Helper V
Helper V

normalization

what is the difference between normalization and denormalization?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @waleed111 

Sr. No. Key Normalization Denormalization

1ImplementationNormalization is used to remove redundant data from the database and to store non-redundant and consistent data into it.Denormalization is used to combine multiple table data into one so that it can be queried quickly.
2FocusNormalization mainly focuses on clearing the database from unused data and to reduce the data redundancy and inconsistency.Denormalization on the other hand focus on to achieve the faster execution of the queries through introducing redundancy.
3Number of TablesDuring Normalization as data is reduced so a number of tables are deleted from the database hence tables are lesser in number.On another hand during Denormalization data is integrated into the same database and hence a number of tables to store that data increases in number.
4Memory consumptionNormalization uses optimized memory and hence faster in performance.On the other hand, Denormalization introduces some sort of wastage of memory.
5Data integrityNormalization maintains data integrity i.e. any addition or deletion of data from the table will not create any mismatch in the relationship of the tables.Denormalization does not maintain any data integrity.
6Where to useNormalization is generally used where number of insert/update/delete operations are performed and joins of those tables are not expensive.On the other hand Denormalization is used where joins are expensive and frequent query is executed on the tables.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @waleed111 

Sr. No. Key Normalization Denormalization

1ImplementationNormalization is used to remove redundant data from the database and to store non-redundant and consistent data into it.Denormalization is used to combine multiple table data into one so that it can be queried quickly.
2FocusNormalization mainly focuses on clearing the database from unused data and to reduce the data redundancy and inconsistency.Denormalization on the other hand focus on to achieve the faster execution of the queries through introducing redundancy.
3Number of TablesDuring Normalization as data is reduced so a number of tables are deleted from the database hence tables are lesser in number.On another hand during Denormalization data is integrated into the same database and hence a number of tables to store that data increases in number.
4Memory consumptionNormalization uses optimized memory and hence faster in performance.On the other hand, Denormalization introduces some sort of wastage of memory.
5Data integrityNormalization maintains data integrity i.e. any addition or deletion of data from the table will not create any mismatch in the relationship of the tables.Denormalization does not maintain any data integrity.
6Where to useNormalization is generally used where number of insert/update/delete operations are performed and joins of those tables are not expensive.On the other hand Denormalization is used where joins are expensive and frequent query is executed on the tables.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.