Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bmcminn
Helper II
Helper II

noob question re distinct & unique in Power Query Editor

Hi. I'm just curious about the graphic representation of distinct vs unique values in Power Query Editor, specifically in the Column distribution view and the Column profile view. My understanding is the distinct count is how many values are in the column that appear more than once and the unique count is how many values are in the column that only appear once.

But it doesn't seem like the graphics always represent this, so I'm guessing the graphic is truncated, but I haven't read that anywhere.  I put some images below to help explain. Thank you.

So in this image it says there are 11 distinct values, 0 unique. The green bars and their labels correspond perfectly to the actual column.

distinct_unique 1.png

But in this image (even when I scroll to the end of the window) there are only 49 green bars with labels, not 87.

distinct_unique 2.png

2 REPLIES 2
bmcminn
Helper II
Helper II

But you can choose "Column profiling based on top 1000 rows" or "Column profiling based on entire data set" and all the other information you get to in the View panel will change based on that choice.

column profile 1.png

column profile 2.png

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @bmcminn ,

As far as I know, the graph is based on the first 1000 rows  only.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.