Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jardaKarlik
Frequent Visitor

named pipe connection support

Hi, Im experimenting with powerBI and WSUS internal database and wanted to check if someone did connect succesfully from powerBI Desktop to a local Windows Internal database as it seems for me that named pipe connection is a problem. I can connect to same internal db using SQL management studio but not via power BI Desktop. 

Im asking just to save a time a bit 🙂 

thanks for help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jardaKarlik,

Windows Internal Database is not available as a standalone product for use by end-user applications; Microsoft provides SQL Server Express and Microsoft SQL Server for this purpose. Additionally, it is designed to only be accessible to Windows Services running on the same machine.

So I don't think it is currently available for Power BI Desktop.Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
theincredibleaf

I ran into this problem the other day

Is the WSUS WID (Windows Internal Database) on the same machine as Power BI|?

I ask because WID does not support remote access.

What I did was migrate the database to SQL instead, and then it is simple to connect.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-server-update-services/manage...

@jardaKarlik If it's a SQL database it is most likely just a matter of having the appropriate ports or permissions open for access, I would imagine... Have you tried connecting via the IP?

What is the error you are getting in Power BI?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer Im running powerBI desktop on same server as the wsus internal dabatase is installed so I doubt ports. I have installed wsus using same credentials which Im using for connection. 

My inspiration was this arcite https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/gborger/2009/02/27/exploring-the-wsus-windows-internal-database/ about quering WSUS intranl dB and because its working OK with SQL management studio I cant undrstand why powerBI desktop strugles with same connection. 

Error Im getting is this: 

My aim is to pull data from WSUS internal database into powerBI to provide more fancy and modern reports than WSUS can do 🙂 

Hey, this internal issue with your SQL. U have to check your SQL Admin. 

This is your shared server ?

check this link 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem-tshoot/

@Baskar Well, Im the sql admin for this (its a lab only) but this is far from standard SQL server. We talking here about connection to Windows Internal database

Hi @jardaKarlik,

Windows Internal Database is not available as a standalone product for use by end-user applications; Microsoft provides SQL Server Express and Microsoft SQL Server for this purpose. Additionally, it is designed to only be accessible to Windows Services running on the same machine.

So I don't think it is currently available for Power BI Desktop.Smiley Happy

Regards

@jardaKarlikHere is a decent link to try various things related to that error. It is most likely one of them.

A couple I run into a lot are needing to fully qualify the connection server\db, Allow Remote Connections and Browser Service.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.