Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jadewind
Helper I
Helper I

multiple value ranges to filter in a page filter field

Hi everyone,

I am new to Power BI and now I face a challenge where I need to have a page filter and specify multiple value ranges. 

For example I need to add "Code" as a page filter, then have only these codes included: 201-239, 401-599. The values in this field can range anywhere between 010 and 999. I don't need any other codes apart from the above two ranges. At the moment I can only make it work for one range, using "Advanced filtering" to "Show items when the value" "is greater than or equal to" 201 "And" "is less than or equal to" 239. I cannot find a way to add the second range. 

As I will have other filters in place so the codes contained in this "Code" field can be quite dynamic, meaning selecting the codes one by one is not suitable in this case. 

Can anyone help please? If I cannot do it in the page filter I am happy to learn other options such as adding a custom column...

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jadewind so you can have outer AND condition as below,

=IF(AND(AND(TABLENAME(COLUMNNAME) >200, TABLENAME(COLUMNNAME) < 240), AND(TABLENAME(COLUMNNAME)>400, TABLENAME(COLUMNNAME)<500)), 1, 0 )

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jadewind,

You can also use query editor to achieve your requirement:

Open the query editor, click on filter button and choose between option:

Capture3.PNG

Switch to Advanced mode:
Capture4.PNG 

Add the conditions:

Capture5.PNG

Below formula will general into the advancer editor:
Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [Code] > 200 and [Code] < 240 or [Code] > 400 and [Code] < 600)

Capture6.PNG

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Xiaoxin for this tip. It is great to know this function. However in my case, I need to filter in the page of the report, because in other pages I don't want this filter. I assume your method would filter the source data for all pages I will create after the data is loaded?

Hi @jadewind,

Yes, if you use the query editor, it will works on the datasource, so it seems not suitable with your requirement, you can use @ankitpatira's method.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jadewind There are two easiest option you can do both requires creating calcuated columns.

1. Calculated column as = IF(AND(TABLENAME(COLUMNNAME) >200, TABLENAME(COLUMNNAME) < 240), 1, 0 ). This will give you 1 if value is between that range and 0 if not and then you can do filtering for 1 for all values between that range or 0 for not.

2. Calculated column as = IF(AND(TABLENAME(COLUMNNAME) >200, TABLENAME(COLUMNNAME) < 240), TABLENAME(COLUMNNAME), blank() ). This will give you values in calculated column for values between 200 and 240 (all other blanks) that can be used for your filter.

Thanks ankitpatira for your answer. However your method will only capture the ones that meet the criteria 201-239 and won't capture the ones that are between 401 and 599. Do you have a solution to capture both?

@jadewind so you can have outer AND condition as below,

=IF(AND(AND(TABLENAME(COLUMNNAME) >200, TABLENAME(COLUMNNAME) < 240), AND(TABLENAME(COLUMNNAME)>400, TABLENAME(COLUMNNAME)<500)), 1, 0 )

Thanks ankitpatira. It works. One small issue which is not a concern in this case is that there are blank cells which are taken as 0. In other cases I might want to categorize these blank ones as "unknown", not 1 or 0. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.