Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jrbrown00
Helper I
Helper I

multiple slicers for two visuals

I have 5 slicers and 2 visuals on a report.  I want 5 slicers to apply to Visual1 and 4 slicers to apply to Visual2.  Visual2 will have  the 5th field hardcoded and should not use the slicer.  The instructions seem straightforward, but I cannot get visual2 to ignore slicer5. 

Here is the screenshot for the visual1 setup. 

• Visual1 is selected
  • Visual1 will use all 5 slicers (red outline1)
  • Visual2 will ignore changes to Visual1 (red outline2)
  • This works, all slicers control the appearance of Visual1

jrbrown00_0-1642186012112.png

Here is the screenshot for the Visual2 setup

Visual2 

• Visual2 is selected
  • Visual2 will ignore the slicer labelled _type_ (red outline3)
  • Visual1 will ignore changes to Visual2 (red outline4)
  • Visual2 is filtered to show only _type_=1011
  • This does not work.  Visual2 is displaying the _type_ shown in the slicer.

jrbrown00_1-1642186366352.png

What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Outline3 means that you are preventing Visual2 from filtering _type_ slicer. You are correct for Outline4.

A slicer is just another visual, so the controls are not reversed for these. It works the same as one matrix filtering another matrix. To prevent a slicer from filtering a matrix, you need to click on the slicer and click the 'do not filter' icon for the matrix.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I think you might have your controls backward. In order for _type_ slicer to not filter Visual2, you need to click on the _type_ slicer and turn off filtering on Visual2.

What you currently have is that Visual2 won't filter _type_ or Visual1.

It is my understanding that the filled in 'do not' in outline3 means that Visual2 will not use the _type_ slicer and that the filled in 'do not' in outline4 means that Visual2 will not honor any selections in Visual1.

Currently, Visual2 seems to be 'anding' both the _type_ slicer and the hard-coded filter inside Visual2.

Thoughts?

Outline3 means that you are preventing Visual2 from filtering _type_ slicer. You are correct for Outline4.

A slicer is just another visual, so the controls are not reversed for these. It works the same as one matrix filtering another matrix. To prevent a slicer from filtering a matrix, you need to click on the slicer and click the 'do not filter' icon for the matrix.

You are correct.   That fixed my problem. The _type_ slicer is just another visual.  Click on the _type_ slicer and then click  on the 'do not' icon so that Visual2 is not filtered based on the _type_ slicer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.