cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Myloud

multiple live connections

Dear,

We have a context with multiple tabular cubes covering several domains, and we would like the ability to make cross-domain dashboards, although what we see is that it is not possible to create a live connection to two cubes or more (even in Seperate PowerBI sheets). Hence we are wondering:

- Is this functionality planned in the near future ?

- Is the only option to create a model in Power Bi itself ? Which would seem to be another replication of the data especially if we are talking about billions of transactions -> not feasible

- Is there any technique to achieve the latter ? basically we do not expect to have for example a slicer that filters both cubes but we just need, let's say for the sake of illustration, the ability to Drag & Drop a figure from cube A in a box, and a figure from cube B in a seperate box.

FYI We are not planning on using Power BI on cloud but are waiting for PBI on prem, so for now the usage is purely based on PBI desktop

Many thanks for your assistance

Miloud

4 REPLIES 4
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: multiple live connections

You can only connect to one live cube per Desktop file. However, you could create multiple Desktop files, one for each cube and then pin visuals to a single dashboard from each of those reports.

---------------------------------------

Putting square pegs in round holes since 1972.

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Myloud

Smoupre thanks so much for your answer.

One thing though, when you say Pin to a single dashboard; is this going to be doable in Power BI on-premise too (within SSRS portal)? 

And if yes, do filters still appear/work ? Imagine I pin two dashboards that both have a filter on year and business unit; how is this going to behave ?

Power BI on premise is not out yet, this is why I cannot test this to see by myself 😞 

Many thanks man

Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Myloud,

One thing though, when you say Pin to a single dashboard; is this going to be doable in Power BI on-premise too (within SSRS portal)? 

And if yes, do filters still appear/work ? Imagine I pin two dashboards that both have a filter on year and business unit; how is this going to behave ?

Yes, we can pin Reporting Services items to Power BI Dashboards for SQL Server 2016 and later. However, only certain items can be pined to Power BI Dashboards , and it is not possible to pin Filters to Power BI Dashboards currently. For more details about Pin Reporting Services items to Power BI Dashboards, you can refer to this article.Smiley Happy

Regards

cyclist007 Helper V
Helper V

Hi @Greg_Deckler, You mention pinning to dashboards but there are no dashboards in Power BI desktop. Is there a good reason why Power Bi desktop does not allow connections to multiple live sources? 

@v-ljerr-msft There are quite a few restrictions on dashboards such as pinning filters is not possible, in-chart drill-downs is not possible, hence reports are more useful to our clients. Also our clients do not want to go via the cloud, hence Power BI desktop is very important ... is there any solution for connecting multiple live sources to the Power BI desktop?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Do you need help in Spanish? Check out our new Spanish community section.

MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

‘Better Together’ Integration Forum Launch

‘Better Together’ Integration Forum Launch

We've launched a how-to forum where you can learn about how Power BI integrates with other Power Platform products.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors