Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jeffjenkins
Frequent Visitor

multiple filters without cross interaction

Hi - trying to calculate medians for one category of data in a single location & in all location (why can't I include a pbix here?).  Screenshot not super helpful probably. my data has 4 columns & I've created one measure to get FleetMedian:  

FltMdnDuration = CALCULATE(MEDIAN(dummydata[duration]), ALL(dummydata[sitekey]), FILTER(dummydata, dummydata[duration]>0))
   The FleetMedian card should not change value as different sitekeys are selected in the filter...but it is changing.  I also want to exclude zero's in the data;  when I put a filter on the page duration > 0...it causes the FltMedian card to display the same value as the card showing value for one sitekey.  Some kind of interaction going on between the filters that I'm not getting them to operate as I hope.  
Anyone familiar with what is going on?  Any way I can post a sample pbix?
Thanks,  Jeff

jeffjenkins_0-1630668987505.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jeffjenkins,

I modified your measure [FltMdnDuration] with regard to the last argument. Instead of using FILTER for the entire table, it now filters only [duration].

FltMdnDuration = 
CALCULATE (
    MEDIAN ( dummydata[duration] ),
    ALL ( dummydata[sitekey] ),
    dummydata[duration] > 0
)

It's best practice to use explicit measures, so I changed Median of Duration to a measure instead of using Median in the field dropdown.

Median of Duration = MEDIAN ( dummydata[duration] )

When I put these two measures into a visual with interactions enabled for both slicers, I get this:

DataInsights_0-1630700336236.png

Is this correct?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@jeffjenkins,

I modified your measure [FltMdnDuration] with regard to the last argument. Instead of using FILTER for the entire table, it now filters only [duration].

FltMdnDuration = 
CALCULATE (
    MEDIAN ( dummydata[duration] ),
    ALL ( dummydata[sitekey] ),
    dummydata[duration] > 0
)

It's best practice to use explicit measures, so I changed Median of Duration to a measure instead of using Median in the field dropdown.

Median of Duration = MEDIAN ( dummydata[duration] )

When I put these two measures into a visual with interactions enabled for both slicers, I get this:

DataInsights_0-1630700336236.png

Is this correct?

Just tested...Yes!  Both fields are coming out with the desired median values.  Thank you so much!

Jeff

DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@jeffjenkins,

You can disable interactions between visuals in Format --> Edit interactions:

DataInsights_0-1630674102216.png

You can share a pbix link (OneDrive, etc.).

Thanks!  I just added a link to an example pbix;  hope my work onenote allows access.

The pbix (and screenshot of it) use cards to display the 2 different median measurements...but really both numbers will be used in one visual (probably a bullet chart).  With both measures in one visual, I can't break the link with the filters.

@jeffjenkins,

I wasn't able to access the pbix ("<email address> can't be found in the mybpl-my.sharepoint.com directory").

maybe my google drive will work (if you still have time to look at it):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19ETvTvOkCLqPaJqYgF5pqQIQL0RTApoB/view?usp=sharing

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.