Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

billzhang1123
Helper II
Helper II

multiple Personal Gateways

I have multiple reports created in my desktop and uploaded to a group workspace on the service. Some of the reports get data from spreadhsheet on my laptop. Some of them get data from Oracle in the company's private network. 

I installed Person Gateway on a Windows server in our priviate network. It synced pretty well for the data on our private network. 

However I installed another Personal Gateway on my laptop to sync spreadsheet data on my laptop. I thought this is the only way to sync the data on my laptop. Is this correct?

After I configured the Personal Gateway on my laptop, the one on the server stopped working. It kept saying 'Register gateway failed'. Is this because I can only have one Personal Gateway configured or something? I need both because now my Oracle data on the private network stopped sync.

11 REPLIES 11
smoulec

I am not sure it will be relevant to your use case scenario but MS released an entreprise version of the gateway. I haven't looked much into it yet, but it seems designed to address the needs of more complicated situations than the personal gateway (you may be able to have the entreprise on your LAN and personal on your laptop?)

Article here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise/

Enterprise gateway has major limitations (no calculated columns or tables, no data transformation, no DAX queries in the Power BI Desktop etc.

The question stills stands. How can we use multiple personal gateways?

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@calebsg What did you figure out on this?  I'm in a similar situation but am not sure what's next.  I now have two machines...one new bigger computer that does lots of things and has a bunch of .pbix files we uploadto and refresh on app.powerbi.  And a second that I do a lot of skunks works stuff on and upload to share with others as part of our dev process.  I'd like to have two personal gateways working so I can upload from two spots...different models, but same account.  Tom

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

you can uninstall the one on your laptop to test this theory, but i am pretty certain that you should be able to have multiple instances of the Gateway running within your organization.

I uninstalled the one on my laptop. The one on the server still failed to register. I am going to re-install the one on the server too. hope it will take over control again after reinstall.

PowerBIGuy
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

can you load your spreadsheet to one-drive? If so It will update automatically every hour without setting up refresh. This way you'll only have to install the gateway on the server. Also if you can create a vpn into your company’s private network on your laptop that will work as well. 

Business Intelligence Architect / Consultant

One drive is a good solution. Thanks for your suggestion.

but being able to sync for multiple data sources which may not always have a single gateway available to cover is a valid situation to me.

As a workaround could you use a different power BI account login for the secondary gateway, but In general you should only need one gateway. if you have data loaded into a excel workbook it cannot be refreshed without loading it to one-drive. the excel workbook can only be refreshed if it is connected to a supported online or on-prem data source. if you have data sources that cross over multiple domains/servers/networks I would suggest creating a vpn on one server/pc that allows these servers to talk to each other. 

Business Intelligence Architect / Consultant

we use corporate account here. so there is no second account that I can use. 

Hi billzhang1123,

Was wondering if you ever found what was causing the failure on your server?

Haven't tried myself, but is the personal gateway currently working from multiple locations with the same corporate account?

Please mark my reply as the solution if it help you out.
Also check out www.globalpowerbi.com for info on Global Power BI, a Virtual User Group.

Hi anyone, Is  this issue been resolved? If so can any one inform me how?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.