Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ilcaa72
Helper IV
Helper IV

move column in query not reflected in data view

hello, using BI Desktop, i created a small test Table using 'Enter Data', 3 columns 11 rows.  I then created a calculated column, i then opened it in Query Editor to "move a column to beggining". I applied the changes. BUT within BI i dont see the new column at beggining. Its the original table.  I saved the book, and applied changes in query.  am i missing something

agains steps i took...

1. create new table using "Enter Data" within data view

2. created calculated column in data view

3. move column to beginning in query view

4. applied and closed changes in query view

in data view, the table is not updated with column to beggining.  What am I missing?

i created the same small table in CSV file, and brought data in as new table, ran thru same operations, and result is the same

i enclosed a screenshot

move column beggining.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I can replicate this. If you really need a solution, use Advanced Editor and copy your query code. Create a new, Blank query and paste in this code. Delete your old query and rename this query to the old query name.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dringenio

I think this must be a BUG, if you have several relations or calculated field, create a new query is not a good option,  I know this is the only solution, but every time a columns in a query change the order of this table change on data management view, because preserver the original order and add a the new columns to the end on the view, this still happened today on the most recent version 😕

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I can replicate this. If you really need a solution, use Advanced Editor and copy your query code. Create a new, Blank query and paste in this code. Delete your old query and rename this query to the old query name.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

im new to power BI, so i wasnt sure if it was something I was doing wrong so I wanted to check witht he community.

Everything else gets reflected in the data view... filtering, deletes, etc.  Just moving columns do not get reflected back into the data view from query... maybe you can bring it up as a bug... thanks for the repsonse

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.