Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CJenner
Regular Visitor

more location data required?

Ever since the Launch, I had a map that worked using zipcode now, the same chart gives me the following error:

To create a filled map, the Location data should include Bing Map-supported geographic data, such as country/region, state/province, or postal code.

I am using postal code - rather US zip code. 

Any thought or is there a known bug?   It worked okay in the preview (I say okay only because it never kept my "zoom" and I'm only looking at places in California, so my filter on zipcodes is California)

12 REPLIES 12
skiwii
Advocate I
Advocate I

I tried naming my fields [Postal Code] and the American name of [Zip Code] but no cigar.  I even tried a concatenation of City, Postal Code and Country in one field but again no luck.  The only way I could get this to work was to concatenate the latitude and longitude together in a string with a comma separating the two.

Note that I my data is in Excel tables and not a cube.  In SSAS at least you can define an attribute with a Geography type, but I doubt this will work.

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@skiwii you can now define Data Category in Power BI desktop much like you could in SSAS, so you can click on a field with Zip data and Categorize it as a Postal Code.

Now, for some reason, it seems like there is some sort of an issue happening from the geocoding perspective, i noticed that my states and cities are geocoded fine today, but states are fluky, so I am wondering if there is a bug in a service with geocoding zipcodes right now

@skiwii - Coming in late to this conversation, but it seems like the trick that is missing is Data Categorization. I created a Enter Data query with some zip codes, doesn't matter what the column is called, mine was called Zips.

In the model, change the data categorization to "Postal Code".  If you had Country, you would categorize it as "Country", etc.

Place the categorized fields in the Location area. See below:

zip1.png

zip2.png

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
CJenner
Regular Visitor

So I figured out the issue, apparently the field literally has to say Zipcode.  Before it worked with a business logical named of Job Zip (referring to the zipcode of the vendor job for my data)  But when I fixed my cube's dimension attribute to zipcode and works great now.  

I know that makes perfect sense but why did it work with a different name in the preview and then get so specific in the release?  Seems like a step backwards.

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@CJenner you can also click on the field in the Desktop and then click on Modeling->Data Category->Postal code.  This will help your model understand the granularity of your geography.

It had nothing to do with the model or granularity, it had to do with the fact it worked in Preview but when they did the release they got specific. So unless you specifically labeled the Dimension attribute, or table attribute, Zipcode instead of say "Zip City" it wouldn't work.  That is a big miss.   Maybe my business unit doesn't want it called Zipcode or Postal Code.  Maybe they want it Zip City.    So to me, that's a fail because a true Dimension model (ala Kimball) is based on Business Process and what the business calls it, not what the application wants it to be. 

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

it doesn't matter what you call it if you read and follow my instructions above. 

No, I'm not and know you why?  Because I shouldn't have to.  When I go out to a client I don't want to tell them that they have to do what you suggested when they are considering Tableu, Domo or Microstrategy.   Obviously they changed the canvas but it's not good enough.   My zipcode field- fyi  - is at my most atomic level my my dimensional model based on Kimball princepals.  So what value does your solution have?  None!  You know why?  Because 90% of the "BI" Architects and Developers don't know what a true Kimball model looks like.   So when I fixed the name, my problem was solved which is what most people would do.

Let me tell you something, most BI software companies are out there saying, you don't need to do anything.  Just hook our software up and it will work.  Those of us who are true Bi  architects know the truth, and what's worse is people I inteview know a tool and don't know the theory behind DW or DM design.  You can bet that the design I am hooking up to is pure Kimball.

Your suggestion is actually crap because you clearly have missed the point that this application, which I loved at first, is not ready.   I have to go to a client next week and explain to them why there's no drill down, or the fact that OLAP isn't direct connection (and yes it makes a difference, and to the poster who said that who want this feature understand OLAP is a moron and I can give you a reason, email me privately and I'll show you why it's important and not about design or anything of the above) .

In the preview we didn't have to what you said, so ask yourself - why do I need to do that now when I didn't before?  Don't change the rules half way through the game and telll me it's my fault.

I have to agree with CJ (maybe not in so many words) but this is really frustrating. I have added Country, Province, City to my dataset to make this map work, (my dataset only had lat & long at first) to fix this issue but at the end, I still get the message “More location data is required.” I also went the extra step (which I shouldn’t have to) and categorized all these fields accordingly. Still the same error message. Here is an example of how others do it so easily. Just plug in the following lat & long (or use your own) in the following website and you get it plotted. So why not PowerBI?

Lat: 49.372020

Long: -123.276460

Website: http://www.latlong.net/Show-Latitude-Longitude.html

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I am getting the gist of this.  I have 2 zip codes in the model, will have to pick just one and rename Zipcode.   But I have another dataset with long/lat, and another with a full address.  Are the expected field names documented anywhere so I don't have to use trial and error.

I agree we should not have to use desktop to do field type mappings, this should be in the web version.  The error message could have more info too.

I can't also get this working:

used : streetname housenumber, postalcode city, country

works perfecty in bing.com, but gives me a more location data required needed.

Just city works great

I have a similar issue however power bi will plot some but not all of my zipcodes. For example it will work fine in California, but not plot an zipcodes in Illinois. Any idea as to why it will not plot certain zipcodes?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.