cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: more location data required?

I tried naming my fields [Postal Code] and the American name of [Zip Code] but no cigar.  I even tried a concatenation of City, Postal Code and Country in one field but again no luck.  The only way I could get this to work was to concatenate the latitude and longitude together in a string with a comma separating the two.

Note that I my data is in Excel tables and not a cube.  In SSAS at least you can define an attribute with a Geography type, but I doubt this will work.

Highlighted
Super User IX
Super User IX

@skiwii - Coming in late to this conversation, but it seems like the trick that is missing is Data Categorization. I created a Enter Data query with some zip codes, doesn't matter what the column is called, mine was called Zips.

In the model, change the data categorization to "Postal Code".  If you had Country, you would categorize it as "Country", etc.

Place the categorized fields in the Location area. See below:

zip1.png

zip2.png

---------------------------------------

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Highlighted
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@skiwii you can now define Data Category in Power BI desktop much like you could in SSAS, so you can click on a field with Zip data and Categorize it as a Postal Code.

Now, for some reason, it seems like there is some sort of an issue happening from the geocoding perspective, i noticed that my states and cities are geocoded fine today, but states are fluky, so I am wondering if there is a bug in a service with geocoding zipcodes right now

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power BI

See the latest Power BI innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors