Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lbarreiro
Regular Visitor

modify a published report

I have a report published in power bi.

I need to modify and to create measures, the only way of doing it is in power bi desktop? If I unload it and modify it in desktop, on having returned to publish it, it creates a new set of information and the programming update breaks.

There is way of doing it without this happens?

On the other hand, from power bi desktop, I can connect to the set of information the programming update is kept when it publishes, but I have to create the report from the beginning.

Someone could indicate me if there is another way of doing it?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@lbarreiro

You can download PBIX file from Power BI Service following the guide in this article, then modify the report, add measures and re-publish the PBIX file.

Regards,

Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ok Lydia, but if the dataset comes from sql, when I publish the new report it creates a new dataset and I would have to reconnect the dataset with sql.  This always happen? 

@lbarreiro,

After you download the PBIX file and modify it, you can publish it to Service and replace the existing dataset as other's post. What do you mean that reconnect the dataset with SQL?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

My dataset are connected with a sql database and have a schedule for automatic update. If I replace the dataset, it breaks this programming, and other reports that depend of replaced dataset  also would fail.

@lbarreiro,

Temporarily turn off the schedule refresh option. After you modify the PBIX file and re-publish it, turn on the schedule refresh option.
1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

ausrine
Frequent Visitor

If I understood you correctly, you can modify it in Power BI Desktop and then publish it to the same workspace as before by replacing existing dataset with the one you modified (using the same dataset name). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors