Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

merging 2 tables in one chart using the date

Hi,

This is my first post here. A couple of weeks ago I started to use Power BI as our visualization tool. I'm so excited to see how easy is to merge all the data sources that we have into a single reporting tool.

I have just found my first stumbling block though. It's about dates!

I am trying to build a bar chart that shows a sort of funnel from the moment user comes to the site until he/she activates the software. The chart configuration would be as follows:

Axis: date

Values: 

1. Sessions. Taken from Google Analytics in a table with date and sessions

2. Registrations. Taken from our database, table "Users". Each user_id has a join_date so I'm just doing a Distinct Count here

3. Software activations. Taken from our database. Same table as Registrations and similar aggregation formula.

I first created the chart with 2 and 3 grouped by month. No issues there. However, when adding "Sessions" (1) to the chart it adds a 3rd bar with the same value for all months (that value is the sum of all sessions). 

I know there's something I need to do with the date fields, probably the format but haven't been able to figure out.

This is what I tried:

1. I created a date table by using the values of the table for Registrations and SW activations with this formula:

Datetable = CALENDAR(MIN('users'[date_joined]),MAX('users'[date_joined]))

I then marked it as "Date Table"

2. I tried to build relationships between the Google Analytics table and the users table

3. I also tried to give the same date format to all date fields (I tried with Date and Date/Time)

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

PS: something similar happened when trying to create a slicer that controls different charts with different date fields from different tables. I have the feeling that solving the issue presented here will also help me with my slicer problem 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally! I managed to solve it

I think the main problem was coming from my Date Table and the timestamp format from my date fields

//following 2 steps were my fail attempts

1) This how I first created my date table:

DateTable = CALENDAR(MIN('tableA'[date_field]),MAX('tableA'[date_field]))

That seemed to have created a proper column but nothing was working after doing all corresponding relationships and changing date formats through Modelling menu

2) I used a different formula for the Datetable:

thefinaltable = CALENDAR(FIRSTDATE('tableA'[date_field]),LASTDATE('tableA'[date_field]))

However, this was giving me the following error:

A date column containing duplicate dates was specified in the call to function 'FIRSTDATE'. This is not supported.

// everything worked from here

3.1) I then created a new date field on tableA by using the following formula:

newdatecol = DATE(YEAR('tableA'[date_field]),MONTH('tableA'[date_field]),DAY('tableA'[date_field]))

3.2) Changed the format through the Modelling menu to the default 'Date' format

4.1) I tried to again create the DateTable with the same formula but using the new column from tableA:

thefinaltable = CALENDAR(FIRSTDATE('tableA'[newdatecol]),LASTDATE('tableA'[newdatecol]))

4.2) I gave the same Date format as the new date column from TableA

After that, all my slicers worked perfectly on tableA and also tableB which had similar data.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

It seems that you may add relationships to the date table.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sam!

I tried that but didn't work.

For example, in this test I have 3 tables:

- Date table

- Renewal Orders

- New Subscription Orders

Relationships as follows:

'Date table'.date-column  1:*  'Renewals Orders'.dateR-column

'Date table'.date-column  1:*  'New Subscription Orders'.dateNS-column

The date table is also marked as Date Table

And here is what happens when applying the slicer

- Without filtering the slicer: https://www.screencast.com/t/c31uWft2xa

- Seleting a range in the slicer: https://www.screencast.com/t/ISHFTBl7

Any ideas?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just made another test with manually entered tables and applyed same relationships. This seems to work so there must be a problem with my data. I have the feeling that it has to do with the format but I changed the date field format in all tables to the same type and still not working. 

I'll keep playing with the fields. Any ideas will be welcome 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally! I managed to solve it

I think the main problem was coming from my Date Table and the timestamp format from my date fields

//following 2 steps were my fail attempts

1) This how I first created my date table:

DateTable = CALENDAR(MIN('tableA'[date_field]),MAX('tableA'[date_field]))

That seemed to have created a proper column but nothing was working after doing all corresponding relationships and changing date formats through Modelling menu

2) I used a different formula for the Datetable:

thefinaltable = CALENDAR(FIRSTDATE('tableA'[date_field]),LASTDATE('tableA'[date_field]))

However, this was giving me the following error:

A date column containing duplicate dates was specified in the call to function 'FIRSTDATE'. This is not supported.

// everything worked from here

3.1) I then created a new date field on tableA by using the following formula:

newdatecol = DATE(YEAR('tableA'[date_field]),MONTH('tableA'[date_field]),DAY('tableA'[date_field]))

3.2) Changed the format through the Modelling menu to the default 'Date' format

4.1) I tried to again create the DateTable with the same formula but using the new column from tableA:

thefinaltable = CALENDAR(FIRSTDATE('tableA'[newdatecol]),LASTDATE('tableA'[newdatecol]))

4.2) I gave the same Date format as the new date column from TableA

After that, all my slicers worked perfectly on tableA and also tableB which had similar data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.