Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

datavis
Resolver I
Resolver I

merge queries

I have two tables with many of the same headers but all the records are not the same. One table has about 1000 records and the other table has about 100 records. I should end up with 1,100 records total.

When I select merge queries and choose the headers in each of the tables are that are identical headers, I get the new column at the far right of the table. When I try to expand or aggregate, it does not merge the data. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MauriceMecowe
Resolver II
Resolver II

If you specify the "Join Kind" as Full Outer, you should get all rows from both tables when performing a Merge statement.

But there is a difference between a Merge statement and what you are describing (if I understand correctly). With a Merge statement you are combining queries based on matching rows. With Append you are combining queries based on matching columns. 

So I think that you should try an Append Queries As New. So your tables of 1000 and 100 rows, will return a result set of 1100 rows, as you desire. The number of columns for each query must be the same for each query, so for the appending you will use the same columns from both querys. 

Append requires columns to be exactly similar to work in best condition. if columns in source queries are different, append still works, but will create one column in the output per each new column, if one of the sources doesn’t have that column the cell value of that column for those rows will be null.

Append is similar to UNION ALL in T-SQL. It will not remove duplicated. Then you have to use Group By or Remove Duplicate Rows to get rid of duplicated. 

View solution in original post

Thank you. Append Queries worked!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MauriceMecowe
Resolver II
Resolver II

If you specify the "Join Kind" as Full Outer, you should get all rows from both tables when performing a Merge statement.

But there is a difference between a Merge statement and what you are describing (if I understand correctly). With a Merge statement you are combining queries based on matching rows. With Append you are combining queries based on matching columns. 

So I think that you should try an Append Queries As New. So your tables of 1000 and 100 rows, will return a result set of 1100 rows, as you desire. The number of columns for each query must be the same for each query, so for the appending you will use the same columns from both querys. 

Append requires columns to be exactly similar to work in best condition. if columns in source queries are different, append still works, but will create one column in the output per each new column, if one of the sources doesn’t have that column the cell value of that column for those rows will be null.

Append is similar to UNION ALL in T-SQL. It will not remove duplicated. Then you have to use Group By or Remove Duplicate Rows to get rid of duplicated. 

Thank you. Append Queries worked!

Perfect, could you please mark my previous reply as the solution. thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.