Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Asamadi
Helper I
Helper I

me me e me

m

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I didn't save the pbix file.

Just follow the steps in this video.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you simply wanting to create a sample data set with some random values?  If so, its much easier to go about that in Excel and then import that data into Power BI

i have no excel file, i have a table and i want to add these 2 columns in power bi ( Power Query)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Really not sure why you would want to do that.  There is a random number generator in Power Query:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt253346.aspx

DAX also has a random number generator.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634783.aspx

Thanks for your response.

in Power Query it doesnt work, and it generates same numbers. and also I want to generate between 2 Numbers like: 1000 and 3000

Anonymous
Not applicable

Random number generators give you a number between 0 and 1.  So if you wanted something thats between 1000 to 3000, you simply need to multiply the random number by 2000 and then add 1000 to the result.  Lastly just round to shave of the remaining decimals.

You can add a dummy column with zeroes and add this to the lower limit of Number.RandomBetween, which forces different values on each row.

Unlike Excel's RANDBETWEEN,, Number.RandomBetween returns fractions, so you need to round and also correct the upper and lower with .5 to have the results evenly distributed.

I created a separate query Texts with the list of names.

let
    Source = #table({"Index"},List.Zip({{1..100}})),
    AddedZero = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Zero", each 0),
    AddedRandomNumber = Table.AddColumn(AddedZero, "RandomNumber", each Number.Round(Number.RandomBetween([Zero]+999.5,200000.5),0,RoundingMode.TowardZero)),
    AddedRandomText = Table.AddColumn(AddedRandomNumber, "RandomText", each Texts{Number.Round(Number.RandomBetween([Zero]-.5,-.5+List.Count(Texts)),0,RoundingMode.TowardZero)}),
    RemovedZero = Table.RemoveColumns(AddedRandomText,{"Zero"})
in
    RemovedZero

Thanks for your response

is it possible to send me pbix file?

i couldnt run the code you create.

I didn't save the pbix file.

Just follow the steps in this video.

Thanks Thanks 

Thanks a milion

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.