Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mimi
Advocate I
Advocate I

max as a filter

Hi

I am trying to calculate sales based on the maximum invoice period, in case someone chooses multiple periods. here is my formula and it is not working. Any help will be appreciated.

Sales = CALCULATE(sum(Query1[SalesValue]);max(Query1[InvoicePeriod]))

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Without going into whether there are any other issues with this approach, to get around the problem you have raised you'd just need to put it into a variable:

Sales = var filterDate = max(Query1[InvoicePeriod])
RETURN
CALCULATE(
     sum(Query1[SalesValue]);
     Query1[InvoicePeriod] = filterDate
)

You'll also need to specify what the filter condition is.  I've assumed you want records based on that date.  However you could use <= if you wanted to get all records on or before.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd suggest creating a date table and having the slicer be based on that date table.  Then, for variable filterdate, do the max on the DateTime instead.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Without going into whether there are any other issues with this approach, to get around the problem you have raised you'd just need to put it into a variable:

Sales = var filterDate = max(Query1[InvoicePeriod])
RETURN
CALCULATE(
     sum(Query1[SalesValue]);
     Query1[InvoicePeriod] = filterDate
)

You'll also need to specify what the filter condition is.  I've assumed you want records based on that date.  However you could use <= if you wanted to get all records on or before.

Hi Ross

Thank for replying.

However, I am noticing that if the FilterDate does not have values for that month, the value that is being produced is for other months.

For example, suppose the user selects Jan and Feb (represented as number 201801 and 201802). if Feb has no sales values, the result returned is for Jan. I do not want that. I prefer that the value that comes through = 0 or blank

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd suggest creating a date table and having the slicer be based on that date table.  Then, for variable filterdate, do the max on the DateTime instead.

Yes it worked thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.