Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xarius
Helper I
Helper I

matrix subtotal formatting

Does anyone know a way to have the column and row values in a matrix be formatted without decimals and have the subtotal values with a decimal?

My original values are all whole numbers but the measure produces an average which I'd like to show decimals for.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@xarius

That's not a problem. What field are you using in rows of your matrix visual? That is the one you have to use in ISFILTERED( ). That's what I meant by

ISFILTERED ( Table1[ColumnInRowsOfTheMatrix] )

Using it like that, the ISFILTERED tells you where you are in the matrix visual, Total or not Total.

If you share the pbix or at least show the structure of your table(s), the code of your measure and how you build the matrix visual where you use the measure (i.e. what fields go where) I will be able to help you further.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @xarius

One way to do it would be to use ISFILTERED to determine whther you are in the Total row and FORMAT. Create a measure like:

MeasureDiffFormat =
VAR _Result = Write here the code for your calculation
RETURN
    IF (
        ISFILTERED ( Table1[ColumnInRowsOfTheMarix] ),
        FORMAT ( _Result, "#,#" ), //When not in the Total row
        FORMAT ( _Result, "#,#.##" )//In the Total row
    )

Thanks for replying @AlB.

I'm still not sure how I work out if I am in the total row/column of the matrix though. I have a measure as values for the matrix as opposed to the values being directly from a column, so I'm not sure using ISFILTERED will work in my case.

@xarius

That's not a problem. What field are you using in rows of your matrix visual? That is the one you have to use in ISFILTERED( ). That's what I meant by

ISFILTERED ( Table1[ColumnInRowsOfTheMatrix] )

Using it like that, the ISFILTERED tells you where you are in the matrix visual, Total or not Total.

If you share the pbix or at least show the structure of your table(s), the code of your measure and how you build the matrix visual where you use the measure (i.e. what fields go where) I will be able to help you further.

Ah! So what I wanted was the column subtotals rather than the row subtotals, and as I had the row subtotals switched off I didn't see that it was actually working. I managed to amend it so the column to filter on was correct to format the total column, thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.