Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aszpic
Frequent Visitor

maps with UTM coordinates instead of Latitude and Longitude

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to use the map tool with the coordinates in UTM format instead of lat and long? The only thing I am aiming for is to show in the map a list of places and values that will be represented with the size of the circles.

Thanks in advance!

Ary

17 REPLIES 17
KoenDelaere
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the tip on how to use Power Query to use a function like this.

The conversion formulas themselves however seem to be inaccurate when comparing to online converters. I get better results with the formulas mentioned here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2689836/converting-utm-wsg84-coordinates-to-latitude-and-longitu...

best regards

Koen

Fortunato_INB
Frequent Visitor

Here is the link to the video explaining the steps

:

https://youtu.be/q8QYQpnSVWo?si=nyCMhfaFh4VI-hL3

Good Morning Fortunato, 

Your Code definitely put me in the right direction. I am in NYC, do any of the numbers or language in the code have to be changed in order to get accurate lat long ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Fortunato,

I used a web API from National Grid which gave me the right lat long values from easting and northing values.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The values for the longitude are given in ranges 15 or 16, and for the UTM coordinates that I handle should be in -71, what is the reason for this error considering that I am in the S hemisphere and meridian 18?

Hello @Flamas 

In the field that asks for Central Meridian, type in degrees (-75). You probably entered 18 which would be the UTM zone.

Note: check your UTM zone and central meridian.

UTM_LatLong.JPG

Any other questions, you can talk

Anonymous
Not applicable

My UTM Zone is 32 so in the central Meridian Text box i have typed the corresponding value based on the url

https://gisgeography.com/central-meridian/

I am getting lat long values which are wrong. For e.g northin ,easting values below, hemisphere NORTH, MeredianCentral=9

I need to get lat=51.400409 long=0.206263 but I am getting wrong values. Not sure if it is becuase of meredian central

Screenshot attached

ocremedios_1-1600376787190.png

Hi @Anonymous @

For these coordinates (lat = 51.400409 long = 0.206263) the Central Meridian is 3, because the "UTM zone" is 31, not 32.

Fortunato_INB_0-1600428456268.png

I hope I was helpfull.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Fortunato_INB,

I provide the following data to the invoked function e.g (eastin,northing,hemisphere,centralmeridian) values (190410,541450,NORTH,3)

I am getting the lat long (1.72,2.62) which is in the middle of the ocean not the U.K. If I use the website https://www.doogal.co.uk/LatLong.php get the correct lat long values.

Does the U.K need some kind of translation in the northing and easting values?

@Anonymous The problem is in the unit of measurement. It should be in meters and not imperial. (North = 354700, East = 6066442).

Fortunato_INB_0-1600434561884.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Fortunato_INB for the info..  once last question what is the formula to convert imperial to metric.

I tried feet to meters but that was wrong. Converting what (from and to) units of measurements?

@Anonymous @ were you able to find a solution to convert OS UK Easting and Northings into Long Lat for use in powerbi? I've been strugling with this for quite a while but cannot find anything that I can successfully implement

Hi @mihaiem , There is a user error on your extension. it's @ocremedios instead of @ocremetz.

Oh, sorry, my bad. I've edited my comment ^_^

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aszpic,

I don't think current map visual support utm format, you can try to write a formula to convert the Latitude and Longitude to utm format, then drag this column to tooltips field.

In addition, you can also submit this requirement to ideas.

Regards,

Xiaoxin sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.