Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

map focus

Hello Fellow BI'ers,

I have not had any luck with getting a dynamic focus in a map.  Take a look at this example of  Ad-hoc filterting and highlighting (search on the link title--it's 2/3's of the way down the page.)

I have data that has a Geo address--though I could put a lat long in if that matters.  I'd like to have it focus based on a selection of data points and their addresses...with the map boundary "just" containing the edge points.  Sometimes the selections are in SF and Northern CA, other times Boston and Eastern MA--anywhere in the US--and any size of boundary...it changes.  I really just want dynamic focus like this link seems to suggest is possible.

I'm using the map visual and also tried the global map.  I've set interactions from slicers.  Perhaps someone has an example I can look at or a tip that helped them break thru.

Anyone get their maps to look like the link?

Thanks,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ThomasDay,

The issue is related to the relationship between each visual's contained fields. When you checked value in one visual to filter map values, if filtered values this time are different from the previous values in map, then the map will zoom in or zoom out automatically to display corresponding values. You can download attached .PBIX file to have a look.

w1.PNGw2.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ThomasDay,

The issue is related to the relationship between each visual's contained fields. When you checked value in one visual to filter map values, if filtered values this time are different from the previous values in map, then the map will zoom in or zoom out automatically to display corresponding values. You can download attached .PBIX file to have a look.

w1.PNGw2.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@ankitpatira and @v-qiuyu-msft  Thanks for the example.  Now that I that focus does work and "puts a box" around the extent of the geo points, I'll be able to figure out what I'm doing that's preventing it.  Tom

@v-qiuyu-msft I'll run thru the example today.  Thanks!  Tom

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ThomasDay I am assuming you want selection to be made on slicer / column chart and have focus happening on map based on that selection. Fields that you've used on maps are they related fields you've used for slicers / column chart. Basically if fields are from seperated table you need to ensure active relationship exists between two tables and if from same table then focusing should work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.