cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper V
Helper V

many to many dimensions - "Cant display the visual"

Im trying to do many to many dimensions in powerbi.

I have DimThirdPartyNumber. There can be many of these per entry in DimUser. Each user has many reports in FactReports. I am displaying the data in a table, not using any measures.

I can add attributes from DimUser & DimThirdPartyNumber to my table without issue.
When i add an attribute from DimReport however, my table says "cant display the visual.

The only way i can get this to work is with many to many relationship enabled betweeen DimUser, DimThirdPartyNumber & the bridging table.

I have two questions:

1. Why doesnt this work without many to many enabled?
2. is there a solution to use this without many to many? 

Screenshot is below, and link to sample pbix is here

thanks for any help or expertise.

Capture.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi, try this:

Delete relation between User third party id bridge and dim users

Create a new relation: User third party id bridge - userid   with  fact reports - userid

For your reference:

https://www.sqlbi.com/tv/different-types-of-many-to-many-relationships-in-power-bi/

Regards.

thanks @evandrocunico 

this proposal changes the underlying model, and the granularity of the fact table which i was hoping to avoid.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power BI

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power BI features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

secondImage

Power BI Women

Join our monthly meetings and learning sessions.

secondImage

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power BI Super Users!

secondImage

The largest Power BI virtual conference

100+ sessions, 100+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI. Attend online or watch the recordings.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors