Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

manually moving bar chart columns

Is there an option to manually move around the bar chart columns? The sort option is very limited and does not help at all align it the way I want. For instance i have a graph with categories 0-90, 91-180, 181-365 etc etc.. the sort option does not categories it in the order i need.. There should be an option to manually move the columns around. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ashish,

To achieve your desired results in PowerBI, I have created a conditional column in Query Editor as shown in the screenshot, You can also create calculated column with IF Statement.

sort1.PNG

This new conditional column will act as a sort order column for sort by column feature under the modelling tab.

Select the correct data type (Whole Number) for this newly created column

sort3.PNG

Select your Bar column and Go to Modelling Tab, Select sort by Column, Choose sort order column for sort by.

Final results:

Ta........Da.........Ta........Da.........

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do i move this light blue bar?
i want the black bar first and then blue. i am not getting the option to move

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

No. You can not move around bar columns in powerbi manually. How do you want them to align. Can you please post a expected output.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @BhaveshPatel,

That's unfortunate.. Tableau seems more flexible currently.

So I have a set of sales data where I would like to represent the ageing of deals by the sum total value, using a bar chart. I would want it to align the x axis starting with 0-90, 91-180, 361-720 and +720. Everytime I click on sort by ageing category, the 91-180 day column comes up first in the bar chart. But I want the 0-90 as the first column and so on and so forth.

Hope it's slightly clearer.

You can use Sort by Column Feature to achieve this. 

Please visit this documentation link to find out more on how to use this.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @BhaveshPatel,

As mentioned in my earlier post, I tried sort by feature. Doesn't seem to work for the categories I mentioned.

Would be good if you can show me how to get that output.

Thanks

Hi Ashish,

To achieve your desired results in PowerBI, I have created a conditional column in Query Editor as shown in the screenshot, You can also create calculated column with IF Statement.

sort1.PNG

This new conditional column will act as a sort order column for sort by column feature under the modelling tab.

Select the correct data type (Whole Number) for this newly created column

sort3.PNG

Select your Bar column and Go to Modelling Tab, Select sort by Column, Choose sort order column for sort by.

Final results:

Ta........Da.........Ta........Da.........

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Hi there

Is there anyway of using the conditional coloumn if you have a calculated field in power bi?

My calculated field does not come up as an option under coloumn name - any suggustions please?

Thank you 

Taryn

Anonymous
Not applicable

🙂 Ok so i just re-create my excel column in BI itself.

Thank you @BhaveshPatel !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.