Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

make two relations for two table HELP

Hey, 

I have two tables, one is an alarmlist with a specific system message for an alarm, and the other is a table with all alarms that have been triggered, what alarm, time and duration and for what machine. 

The problem I have is that there are several different machines, and every machine has it own alarmlist, and the alarmlist have an ID for every alarm, and AlarmID 1 exist on all machines for example. I merged all alarm lists together, and added a MachineID for every machine. 

So I have Alarmlist forexample, (note that an AlarmID for on machine doesn't have to mean the same for another): 

AlarmID; System message; MachineID

2000; error slow; 1

2000; error fast; 2

2000; error medium; 3

And the table with the triggered and normal alarms:

AlarmID; MachinedID; ActiveAlarm; Time; Duration

0; 1; 0; 07:40; 2

2000; 1; 1; 07:42; 3

I want to combine theese tables in a visualisation that shows alarmID, machineID, systemmessage time and duration. 

But I am having trouble linking both MachineID and AlarmID. I can only have one active link. If I only link machineIDs I get all systemmessage. 

Dont know How To do this? Also for the table with triggered alarms are there a alarm when there a no alarm, a normal state which have alarmID 0, and this one doesn't have a systemmessage in larmlist, that is just triggered alarms. 

Appreaciate help on how to do this. 

Kind regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hansei
Helper V
Helper V

Combine your columns in M or DAX

M: Table.AddColumn(alarmlist, "FullID", Text.Combine({Text.From("AlarmID"),Text.From("MachineID")})

DAX: alarmlist[FullID] = "" & [AlarmID] & [MachineID]

Do this for both tables and create your relationship between the 2 [FullID] columns, which should have be many-to-one events-to-alarmlist

Events that do not have a corresponding alarmlist entry (like when alarm ID = 0) will show up as (Blank) error codes

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
hansei
Helper V
Helper V

Combine your columns in M or DAX

M: Table.AddColumn(alarmlist, "FullID", Text.Combine({Text.From("AlarmID"),Text.From("MachineID")})

DAX: alarmlist[FullID] = "" & [AlarmID] & [MachineID]

Do this for both tables and create your relationship between the 2 [FullID] columns, which should have be many-to-one events-to-alarmlist

Events that do not have a corresponding alarmlist entry (like when alarm ID = 0) will show up as (Blank) error codes

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,

There is two way. One is to append data - https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

Another one is to create common dimensions using union and distinct and join them with these tables

machine = distinct(union(all(table1[machine Id]),all(table2[machine Id])))

Do same for other dimesnions

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.