Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

make custom list of values after pivot column

I have a column with 11 possible status':

ColumnX

ReportStatus0

ReportStatus1

ReportStatus11

I pivot the column to create an extra 11 columns:

ReportStatus0 ReportStatus1 ... ReportStatus11

max                 max                ...  max

When I refresh the data, it is possible that all 11 status' are represented (ie I may not have any reportStatus6), and when pivoted, this column does not present itself.

This causes issues down stream, as a further calculation comparates the maximum value from each of the ReportStatus1...11, and my current workaround is to delete the non-represented columns (ie keeping columns 0 and 5 below):

Max = Table.AddColumn(#"Pivoted Column", "ReportMax", each List.Max({[Report Status ID 0],[Report Status ID 5]}))

Is there a way I can pivot the original column so that if a value is not present, it shows up as a zero for future computations?

To pivot, I currently use:

Table.Pivot(#"Removed Other Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Other Columns"[Custom]), "Custom", "SYSEventDate", List.Max)

Of is there a way to generate a specific list of values instead of list.distinct? If so, how would I proceed with that

Any suggestions are welcomed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I did was create a new table, Table1, of all of the possible report status' I needed. This was composed of a single column. Column1

I merged the original table with the Table1 single column on a full join.

The new column, Table1.Column1, now has all of the possible values. 

I removed the original column of status', and continued to pivot on Table1.Column1, and continued with remaining computations

This worked for me.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

More concrete example, I want to be able to add/see a Feb column with value 0, as well in the following:

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

What I did was create a new table, Table1, of all of the possible report status' I needed. This was composed of a single column. Column1

I merged the original table with the Table1 single column on a full join.

The new column, Table1.Column1, now has all of the possible values. 

I removed the original column of status', and continued to pivot on Table1.Column1, and continued with remaining computations

This worked for me.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.