Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gwp
Advocate I
Advocate I

locks my whole machine

I have a large .pbix file that is causing problems. It performs fine when I load it with say 5M rows, but when I load it with say 50M rows, and I interact with certain measures, then it freezes my entire machine. No CTRL-ALT-DEL, no keyboard, no mouse, no nothing. Machine is completely locked, so I must hold down the Power button to shut down, and then reboot.

My impression is that the application is overwhelmed by computations and completely locks up or at least claims ALL of my computer's resources - and that this situation is not detected or trapped by the application. This situation is NOT preceeded by the "Couldn't load the data for this visual" memory warning.

I understand that measures and data models can be optimized, and that every application will have its performance limitations, etc. Without getting into measure details, I have some general questions:

Q1: Has anyone run into this sort of complete lockup when the application is overloaded?

Q2: Is there a clever way out of these situations other than leaning on the Power button?

Q3: Should the application be expected to trap these situations better?

Fact table has 50M rows, file size is 140MB. 

PBI desktop Version: 2.42.4611.901 64-bit (January, 2017)

Intel Core i7-6820HQ 2.7 GHz, 16 GB RAM

3 REPLIES 3
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Cool,

1. Remove unwanted columns from your tables. it will reduce the file size.

2. Reduce calculated column, that too reduce your file size.

Get me in private mail i will help u .

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@gwp, as you got big data source to connect in Power BI reports (50M rows), instead of importing data into the report, could you please choose the direct query mode? In addition, you may also need to consider increasing the installed RAM to increase the computer performance.

DirectQuery is not an option in this use case - data is coming from flat files, and there is no server to connect to.

It may be that this is just too much data - in which case Microsoft needs to do a better job trapping the error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.