Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dean_Mcghee
Frequent Visitor

loading a sketchup model

I am trying to load a model of a warehouse shelving unit with product.   I am having trouble getting power BI to see the individual boxes. I have assigned each product an instance, each level, each bay, and each rack, but it will not see the boxes.  The entire model is greyed out and I can't get it to do anything.

Has anyone done this and if so can you help me figure out what I am doing wrong?

7 REPLIES 7
kenny-kg-dev
Regular Visitor

If your model is grayed out it means that there is a mismatch between the IDs that are included in the model and the IDs you are passing to the visual through the "Object Identifiers" field.

When exporting from SketchUp you have an option to specify which IDs to use. You can use the persistent id, which is the internal ID that SketchUp automatically gives to objects, or you can use the instance name, which is a name you can assign yourself to each object. For warehouseing you preferably want to use the Instance Name, since that gives you full control.

Here is a complete tutorial for this specific usecase: https://kg-dev.be/2021/08/16/how-to-custom-3d-power-bi-visual-of-a-warehouse/

I hope this answers your question.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Dean_Mcghee Where is the data coming from? Can you post a picture of your greyed out data model?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I started over again and went simple. Again I created everything in sketchup. Boxes are numbered, Level is A, B and so on, Section is 076, or 074, and everything is 25N. Rack/Section/Level/Piece. I have watched the only vid I can find on yourtube 40 times. Dont explain nothin, just does it. 

For the life of me I can figure out what I am doing wrong.Capture.JPG

@Dean_Mcghee Is this the 3DBI visual or what specific custom visual are you using?

3DBI visuals suddenly stop functioning?! | KG-dev

Latest book!:

Yes, 3DBI visual.  

click on visual, specify the Object Identifiers, load model. You can also set color by property and have tried doing it, and not doing it, no change.

I can't tell if it is in the model creation/export or the import into Power that something is going wrong. 

@Dean_Mcghee Did you click on that link I posted?. Looks like there is a buggy AppSource visual in the wild and it is a recent event, like just a couple weeks ago. 3DBI visuals suddenly stop functioning?! | KG-dev

Latest book!:

Thanks I will. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.