Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anton_arkhipkin
Regular Visitor

live connection from Pover BI desktop to SSAS using HTTP to msmdpump.dll

Hello,

i trying to created live connection from Pover BI desktop to SSAS, but it doesn't work.

From excel I can connect to Cube using connection string:

Provider=MSOLAP.5;Password=passxxxxx;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=Usernamexxx;Initial Catalog=Test;Data Source=http://xxx.xx.xx.xxx/OLAPnew/msmdpump.dll;MDX Compatibility=1;Safety Options=2;MDX Missing Member Mode=Error

But when I trying to get live connection from Power BI Desktop I input:

- Server: http://xxx.xx.xx.xxx/OLAPnew/msmdpump.dll

- Database (optional): Test

and got error: "We could not connect to the Analysis Services server because the connection timed out or the server name is incorrect".

If I am changing mode from "Connect live" to "Import" - connection successful.

In the comments to the topic https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7266252-support-ssas-connection-u... I saw advice to add 'Windows Credentials' in the Credential Manager with the connection string, username and password. But don't understand how to do that correct.

On which step, where and how I have to specify username and password? (User ID=Usernamexxx and Password=passxxxxx from the connection string in Excel).

Our SSAS server is "independent instance", not in any domain, but there configured connection throw HTTP data pump link (msmdpump.dll) and created few local windows account (which are added to the SSAS roles as members and used for connection to the CUBE in EXcel)

6 REPLIES 6
AlienYi

I have SQL Server 2016 installed on a stand-alone server, which is added to our domain.  SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) is installed on the server. I can browse the SSAS cube from excel and via Import from Power BI Desktop. If I try via live connection, it seems as if I can connect, but the fields section of Power BI Desktop is not populated (like it is when choosing Import from Power BI Desktop).

Via Power BI service (PowerBi.com website) I added gateway and datasource, the dataset (connects to SSAS) is pushed through to My Workspace under Workspaces. But when I click on the dataset in My Workspace, the hourglass just spins forever.  

So it seems there is either a bug in Power BI somewhere or we are doing soemthing wrong, yet it seems nobody has a fix or solution to the problem.

A year has passed with no response on this. How long will it take to solve a problem that even Excel is capable of? Come on.

tannera
Advocate II
Advocate II

We are encountering the same problem, which makes Power BI impossible to adopt. 

The live connection to our pump works without issue in Tableau and Excel, but not in Power BI Desktop. The import option works in Power BI Desktop though. 

Any tips on how to resolve this? 

khanhmle1123

HI @anton_arkhipkin has there been a resolution for this?  I'm have the same issue and would like to see if there is a work around to get a live connection working from Power Bi Desktop to a datapump.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @anton_arkhipkin,

1. As you can get data successfully in desktop when use Import mode, I don't think the typed server name is the issue. I guess the issue should be related to the IIS server. Please try the S-Driancourt's reply in this thread: Using HTTP data pump (msmdpump.dll) leads to (can't display visual) errors .

2. There is a new desktop version 2.45.4704.722 released on 4/17/2017, please try to update the desktop version.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft thank you for your responce

1. changed these settings and restarted web App on the server, but this did not help.

In the tpic of S-Driancourt problem was not everytime and error text was other...

And on which step and where I should specify username and password? (User ID=Usernamexxx and Password=passxxxxx from the connection string in Excel).

As I wrote, our SSAS server is "independent instance", not in any domain, but there configured connection throw HTTP data pump link (msmdpump.dll) and created few local windows account (which are added to the SSAS roles as members and used for connection to the CUBE in EXcel). And my local account on the laptop with runned Power BI Desktop is different from those accounts on the server. 

But in other hand, such connection even does not work in Power BI Desktop, which istalled directly on the server...

2. updated client, but it also did not help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.