Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marwamahdhi

list of blank columns

Hello everyone Smiley Happy ,

I'm trying to get a list of blank columns that i have in a table for each row.

i'll explain more

I have a source with 50 columns (project name, customer name, adress,...) and 168 rows and i want in the dashboard that every time i choose a project i'll have a list of empty columns for this project (which data is missing)

I tried to use IF fuction IF(isBlank([ColumnName]) ; ColumnName ; "" ) but as i have 50 columns it seems like it is impossible Smiley Sad

any ideas please ?

Thank you Smiley Very Happy

Have a nice day Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@marwamahdhi You can achieve this in "Power Query Editor".. Here is the steps I've followed

Sample DataSample Data

Select all the columns apart from ProjectName and do "Unpivot only Selected Columns" then the output should like this way...

Unpivoted ResultUnpivoted Result

As you are interested only in blank values, Filter only blank values from the value field. Then you are good to go with visualizing this data....

Final OutputFinal Output 

Hope this helps !!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@marwamahdhi You can achieve this in "Power Query Editor".. Here is the steps I've followed

Sample DataSample Data

Select all the columns apart from ProjectName and do "Unpivot only Selected Columns" then the output should like this way...

Unpivoted ResultUnpivoted Result

As you are interested only in blank values, Filter only blank values from the value field. Then you are good to go with visualizing this data....

Final OutputFinal Output 

Hope this helps !!

Capture1.PNG

Thank you @PattemManohar for your response Smiley Very Happy ,  i followed your steps but the unpivoted result show me just the first 142 rows then an error pops up  and i didnt understand it  Smiley Frustrated Smiley Sad

@marwamahdhi Is your Source is Sharepoint ? 

Can you please provide the sample data, to replicate your issue. There is some thing wrong. It should be more rows, (logically it should be no.of columns unpivoted x no.of rows) but you have only 142 rows.

Yes @PattemManohar my source is a Sharepoint

Yes i didn't know why it is showing me just the first project and some columns from the second

Untitled.png

@marwamahdhi While unpivoting, did you make sure you are selecting all the fields that you want to check NULL values but don't select the Project field... Also you need to select the option "Unpivot only Selected Columns" option

image.png

Apart from that, I can't see why you are facing an issue for unpivoting...

Hi @PattemManohar, thank you for your help, the issue in unpivoting was that i have a decimal type column and it could not be converted into a value so i fixed it and it works fine for me now.

Smiley Happy Thank you Smiley Happy for your solution mentioned before. Smiley Very Happy i hope this will help others too.

Have a nice day.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.