Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RobertO995
Frequent Visitor

list max - function doesn't work properly

Hello all,

I need your help with List.Max in PowerBi. I'm totally new in M language and even simply things make a lot of troubles for me.

I have separated columns with date and year. For example: one column is 01/01/2018 and second is just 2018. In my table I have dates from 2017 to 2019 and I want to create another column with the maximum year in every row - so in this case, every row (in dates from 2017 to 2019) will be 2019, in the next year it will be 2020 (this is because I'm using operational years instead of calendar).

I guess, I need to use List.Max function, but got some issues with that. 

If I try List.Max([Year column]) - I received "Cannot convert 2019 value to List type,

If I try List.Max[Year column] - I received "Cannot use access to filed for type Function"

The only way, I received what I want was to copy the whole table, match column with year, click 'convert to list' button, and then add another column and use List.Max function, but I have a few questions:

1) will this list refresh automatically if the new dates will appear?

2) Is there simplier way to receive max year in another column in every row?

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@RobertO995

You can refer to the Year column of the table using the syntax PreviousStepName[Year], where PreviousStepName is the name of the step just before adding the Custom Column.

So in the Custom Column dialog box, the code would look like:

=List.Max( PreviousStepName[Year] )

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RobertO995

You could take OwenAuger's advice, as tested, add a custom column using the following format 

#"Changed Type" is the previous step

List.Max(#"Changed Type"[Year])

or write code in Advanced editor

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each List.Max(#"Changed Type"[Year]))

9.png

When i add year 2020 in my original table, then refresh from power bi desktop, it would automatically change to 2020 from 2019.

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RobertO995

You could take OwenAuger's advice, as tested, add a custom column using the following format 

#"Changed Type" is the previous step

List.Max(#"Changed Type"[Year])

or write code in Advanced editor

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each List.Max(#"Changed Type"[Year]))

9.png

When i add year 2020 in my original table, then refresh from power bi desktop, it would automatically change to 2020 from 2019.

Best Regards

Maggie

OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@RobertO995

You can refer to the Year column of the table using the syntax PreviousStepName[Year], where PreviousStepName is the name of the step just before adding the Custom Column.

So in the Custom Column dialog box, the code would look like:

=List.Max( PreviousStepName[Year] )

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.