Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

link sales of former product to succeeding product

Hi there, 

I am trying to link sales on one product (A) to the sales of another product (B) where product (A) is the predecessor of product (B). 

Both of these products are maintained in the same table which contains ~ 30K records. 

A variant of this would be to add product (C) which is the successor of product (B). In essence all 3 products are the same, yet next iterations / improved versions of the 1st version. 

The sales for each of these products are maintained in a different table, which is linked by the product ID. Please see below examples of tables and the intended output.

table1 pre-succ.png

Note that succeeding products B&C have multiple predecessors. This is not the norm, mostly it'd be one product succeeding one, but it does occur. 

table2 pre-succ.png

table3 pre-succ.png

the periods 4 and 8 show overlapping sales of the predecessor and successor. For these periods, the total value could either be the sum of the overlapping sales or the max for example of the predecessor / successor values. 

I've not listed the table which contains the sales. It's a 'typical' sales table though with product id, quantities and dates. 

So, in short I'm looking for a way for power bi to create the last table for me. (labelled 'intended output/ result). 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

You could accept your answer as a solution so that we can close the thread.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can you please share a dummy file?  Then we can understand clearly about your data model.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-xuding-msft 

thanks for your response. in the meantime I've had someone in our office help out. I can't explain really how, but I've got my successors correctly linked to my predecessors and are able to work with the output now. 

again, your intended help is well appreciated. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

You could accept your answer as a solution so that we can close the thread.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm glad that it is solved. If you fully understand it someday,  welcome to share your own solution.  More people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.