Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dalemoy
Frequent Visitor

line graph - adding additional line based on same table data

Hello community.  

i'm a fairly novice user so please forgive my basic knowledge.

I have a line graph that shows quantity of stock sold every day/week/month/quarter/year which is filtered by a date slicer. 

What I would like to do is have a line added for each year, (2015,2016,2017 etc) so I can see the trends in ordering. 

My data is from an SQL database we have on premise and to keep the functionality the way I currently have it, there are 6 tables that have relationships to each other. 

as far as I can tell, I would need to either add or seperate the data into seperate tables based on date, which would mean I would loose my necessary table relationships. 

please see below for what I currently have, and thank you in advance for any advice/help you can provide.

example.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@dalemoy,

Do you want to add line to the existing line chart representing different years ?If so, create a year column using dax below, then drag the column to Legend of the line chart. There is an example for your reference.

Year= YEAR(Table[Date])
1.JPG

If the above steps don't help, please describe more details about what fields you use to create relationship among the tables and what field you want to add as X-axis of line chart.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MikeChicago
Frequent Visitor

For a clustered column chart what I used was Axis FullDate made it a hierarchy and X-out evrything but month. Then Legend Fulldate hierarchy X-out everything but year. Muti-select slicer. try that and see if it gives you the grouping you need for the line chart.

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Try looking into pushing your existing measures into new ones that filter your data by year, you should then be able to plot a measure for 2017, 2016, 2015 etc in your graph. There's quite a few posts discussing this, try looking at (for example) https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Year-over-Year-in-line-chart/td-p/13691

Hi jthomson,

Thanks for replying so quickly! 

I am familiar with creating new measures, but my DAX is quite poor, how would I formulate this with my dataset in mind? 

This formula would have to take into account the relationships I have in mind - i.e clicking on a particular stock line or filtering by stock type would ultimately effect the graph. 

if it helps, please find an example of the dataset i'm working with below.

Table 1: SORDER

SORDER_ID    DATE_CREATED

10048      06/03/2015 00:00:00
1006107/01/2015 00:00:00
1038507/01/2015 00:00:00

table 2:  SORDER_ITEM

SORDER_ID  STOCK_ID   STOCK_DESC                                             QTY_ASSIGNED

29309      145          6mm Biopsy Punch Disposable Qty:10  2                   
29309148Disposable CURETTE 7mm Qty:102
29311240M1 Main Filter for Acu-Evac IE-21

Table 3: STOCK

STOCK_IDSTYPE_ID

Table 4: STOCK_TYPE

STYPE_ID   STOCK TYPE DESC

1           [System & Misc Types] System & Miscellaneous
10[Surgical] Tourniquet & Splints
11[Surgical] Punches & Curettes

I really appreciate any help you give to a noob like me. 

Thanks again,

@dalemoy,

Do you want to add line to the existing line chart representing different years ?If so, create a year column using dax below, then drag the column to Legend of the line chart. There is an example for your reference.

Year= YEAR(Table[Date])
1.JPG

If the above steps don't help, please describe more details about what fields you use to create relationship among the tables and what field you want to add as X-axis of line chart.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks a lot! apprecaite the help. this worked

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.