Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Vipul

line chart with multiple values in legend limitations

I am trying to plot more than 10 values in a single legend in a line chart. But am able to see only 10 values.

for example: if i have 15 products, and i am showing sale of those products across the year, using line chart. Able to plot all the products in the chart but the legend is showing only 10 values.

Is this a limitation or do we need to change some settings.

6 REPLIES 6
pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Vipul 

It can be done with the help of Perspective.

You need to have the August 2020 release and have Tabular Editor installed through Help --> External Tools

Here is the link to the steps.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-august-2020-feature-summary/#_Perspectives

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile
bjstigall
Frequent Visitor

I have also hit the 10 row limit (we have 12 cylinder engines).  Is there a place to vote to up this limit?  Maybe turn off tool tips and the limit goes away?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vipul,

I can't reproduce your issue, it can shows more than 10 legends.

9.PNG

Current line chart not contains the limitation about legend, but if your table contains too much records, it may shows '!' at left top corner and told you too much data.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Let me clarify.

The legends are visible as mentioned by you, but when we hover over the line chart for a single value on x-axis, there we could see only 10 values at a time.

Legend.JPG

Is there a way to customise that visibility.

Hi @Vipul,

>>The legends are visible as mentioned by you, but when we hover over the line chart for a single value on x-axis, there we could see only 10 values at a time.

Based on test and the feedback form team, It seems like tooltips have limitation about display amount.

"Unfortunately By Design right now, we only show 10 rows of data. If you have additional tooltip values, this causes you to hit the 10 row limit with only a few series (as shown in this example).
We have a Scenario planned to introduce a "Tooltip Formatting" property card that will include this and other tooltip options, hopefully in the next 6 months it will be prioritized and completed."

For your requirement,  I'd like to suggest you share this to ideas forum to help improve the line visual.

Regards,

Xiaoxin sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

Is "additional tooltip values" development still in progress!!! I am having May 2021(2.93.981.0) version and even here I can't show more than 10 legends. 

Also in another blog I read that Power BI don't have the option to show related data only for the hovered over legend. Instead it is showing all the legend values belonging to that particular date. 

I am very much intersted to upskill myself in Power BI for past 2 years.  Frequently I try to do some POC and whenever I see few important feature that is not available ( which is available in all other BI tools in market) I get upset and stop continuing the POC. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.