Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nywi6100
Frequent Visitor

limit data set on import

Hi fellow users. I am fairly new to PowerBI. I have a question regarding connecting to a cube and importing data. We have several multidimensional cubes. One is a global cube that has all of our sales regions in it. I connect to the cube (Sales) and build the dataset to import. The problem is that it is a ton of data, and I don't need it all. For instance, I would like to be able to only bring in Latin America from our Region dimension. but, I don't know how to filter the data to only get this Latin America in the dataset being imported. If I try to do it in Edit query' it is post-data-import, and every time I refresh it pulls in far more data than I need. how can I filter the list down prior to the import, without writing the whole query in MDX. My internal customers do not have access to SSMS for actually writing the MDX. So the question is how they can import sales data for only their region when building PowerBi Reports. Instead of returning all the data for all sales in all regions for all dates. would appreciate any guidance you can offer. 

Example: If I try to create a power bi report from an Analysis services cube I get approx. 56 million records because it brings in Market = All. If I can filter to only to Market = Latin America then I can get that record count down to 5 million records to import.  How can this be done   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I believe you will need to write the MDX that limits the data to Latin America, so that the Mash Up job can pass that in the call it makes to retrieve the data. I have never connected to a cube, but that's is how it works for all other sources. so should be same for this as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I believe you will need to write the MDX that limits the data to Latin America, so that the Mash Up job can pass that in the call it makes to retrieve the data. I have never connected to a cube, but that's is how it works for all other sources. so should be same for this as well.

Thanks. I was afraid of that. Seems like Power Bi has a long way to go before being ready for general use and reporting by the business. I would consider this a very basic function for connecting to multidimensional reporting cubes. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors