Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jason435
Helper II
Helper II

likert Chart

Hello All,

In Microsoft Forms, when you use a likert question, you get the results in this format. Does anyone know how I can replicate this in Power BI?

Many thanks,

2018-02-11 01_41_55-Microsoft Forms.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @jason435,

By my tests, if you want to replicate your likert chart to Power BI Desktop, it haven’t been supported currently. 

You could give feedback via https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi and vote your idea up.

Best Regards,

Cherry  

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
drbr
Helper II
Helper II

@jason435 I've done a quasi Likert from a default Power BI visual. All I needed were 6 measures (1+5) that can be reused.
If enough interest, I can prepare a sample report and share it here. At its core, the solution is totally basic stuff‌‌.
Hint: Measure 1 is used to generate white space at the beginning.

Likert.jpg

Could you please share your measures? I wish there was a custom visual but until then, yours is the next best option. 

Hi RHOU,
have you already found the custom visual?
we are a couple of developers working on a custom visual for Likert chart in power bi. let me know if this is something you will be interested in and we can connect.

This one should expire only In the year 2525😃
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkKSS-Hg54HPnJBi8rgg48_IOvnAEg?e=eT1ii3

OLD LINK/SAME FILE:

Link is valid for 30 days. Any ideas where to upload permanently?

LINK: https://easyupload.io/ax9i5f

Thanks a lot! This is great!

One Drive, Google Drive and Dropbox all have free account options that allow to share indefinitely. 

mparowski
Advocate I
Advocate I

So this isn't a perfect approach, but here's what I did...

First, in Power Query I copied the query, Chose Columns to include only the ID and the Likert Items, and then unpivoted the Likert scale so that I had a zillion rows of Attribute/Value pairs.  Then, I added a Conditional Column (cheating using Column from Examples) to give a numeric value to each of my values.  In my case, Strongly Disagree = -2, Disagree = 1, Neither Agree nor Disagree = 0, Agree = 1, Strongly Agree = 2.

Loading this into the data model, Power BI auto-detected the ID as a key field and built the relationship between my main table and my "Likert Question" table.

To visualize, I just used a horizontal barchart using the Question for the axis and the "Response_Numeric" for the values (using the "Average" summarization), plus a custom X axis label (with a bunch of underscores, since PBI ignored multiple spaces).  I also force-set the X axis so that the Min was -2 and the Max was 2 so that the scale stayed true to the feedback.

It doesn't give the full nuance that the native MS Forms tool does and it's not super-pretty, but it does show the gist of the data as you apply filters based on other demographics.  Here's what it looked like (note that this was just a subset of my data, but it highlights how it looks):

LikertVisualization.png

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @jason435,

By my tests, if you want to replicate your likert chart to Power BI Desktop, it haven’t been supported currently. 

You could give feedback via https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi and vote your idea up.

Best Regards,

Cherry  

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for looking as well. I'm using a stacked bar for now. 

Hi jason,

its been a few years, so not sure if you still looking for the Likert chart. You already mentioned you are using a stacked bar. but if there are improvements that you seek, we can consider building into our visual.
we are a couple of developers working on a custom visual for Likert chart in power bi. let me know if this is something you will be interested in and we can connect.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.