Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

D_PBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

left join

Hi
I have two tables case and caseorganisationsponsorid. I would like to be able to perform a LEFT JOIN so all comes back from the case table whether the caseorganisationsponsorid table has a value present for the join or not (hence the LEFT JOIN). To add, the right-sided table performs some grouping/concatenation.

Are joins in Power BI/DAX (not Power Query) purely INNER JOINS unless you specify a function like NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN ?

I've tried a few things but am getting in a pickle. My latest attempt is below which doesn't work, but it should be enough for you to understand my aim. I'm aware this can be done in Power Query but to learn new ways I would like to understand how to achieve this using DAX??  In placing the measure in the table visual should (hopefully) follow row context filtering so the concatenation of organisations should be placed on the relevant caseid row in the table visual.
Capture.PNG

Please can someone help?
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @D_PBI ,

We can think about LEFT JOIN as a subset of CROSS JOIN result. In SQL such logic was used at start and only after we received separate syntax for LEFT and RIGHT JOINs. So based on this we can use a function GENERATEALL (similar to CROSS APPLY in SQL).

Here is an example of table showing join using DAX:

Table Example = 
GENERATEALL(
    'Table1',
    VAR __Table1_Col1 = Table1[Col1]

RETURN
        CALCULATETABLE('Table2',
        Table2[Col5] = __Table1_Col1
        )
) 

Input tables:

Table1

join1.JPG

Table2

join2.JPG

Table result of an aforementioned formula

join3.JPG

Regards,
Ruslan Zolotukhin (zoloturu)
BI Engineer at Akvelon Inc. / Kharkiv Power BI User Group Leader / DAX & Power BI Trainer
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
It was useful? Press Thumbs Up!

You are from Ukraine? If yes then welcome to Power BI User Group - KhPUG website. Other country? Check and find proper one - Power BI User Groups

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @D_PBI ,

We can think about LEFT JOIN as a subset of CROSS JOIN result. In SQL such logic was used at start and only after we received separate syntax for LEFT and RIGHT JOINs. So based on this we can use a function GENERATEALL (similar to CROSS APPLY in SQL).

Here is an example of table showing join using DAX:

Table Example = 
GENERATEALL(
    'Table1',
    VAR __Table1_Col1 = Table1[Col1]

RETURN
        CALCULATETABLE('Table2',
        Table2[Col5] = __Table1_Col1
        )
) 

Input tables:

Table1

join1.JPG

Table2

join2.JPG

Table result of an aforementioned formula

join3.JPG

Regards,
Ruslan Zolotukhin (zoloturu)
BI Engineer at Akvelon Inc. / Kharkiv Power BI User Group Leader / DAX & Power BI Trainer
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
It was useful? Press Thumbs Up!

You are from Ukraine? If yes then welcome to Power BI User Group - KhPUG website. Other country? Check and find proper one - Power BI User Groups

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.