Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dom33
Regular Visitor

language M substring ? in data query

Hi,

In my json input file I have a very large column (data_found in my request) and it is very long to load data in PowerBI.

I just want an extract of this large columns (the first 100 characters for example).

In the advanced editor, is it possible to add M language instructions to do that ?

Thanks

Dominique

let
    Source = Json.Document(File.Contents("C:\carto\results.json")),
    phone = Source[phone_number],
    columns = phone[columns],
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(columns, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), 1, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"location", "numbers_of_rows_analyzed", "percentage_of_personnal_data", "data_found"}, {"location", "numbers_of_rows_analyzed", "percentage_of_personnal_data", "data_found"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Column1",{{"data_found", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

No need for the Advanced Editor.

Select your column - on the "Transform" tab: Extract - First Characters - 100 - OK.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Dom33,

Have you tried the solution provided by @MarcelBeug above? Does it work in your scenario? If it works, could you accept it as solution to close this thread?

If you still have any question on this issue, feel free to post here. Smiley Happy

Regards

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

No need for the Advanced Editor.

Select your column - on the "Transform" tab: Extract - First Characters - 100 - OK.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.