cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tamir Member

k-mean clustering table or measure

Hello,

When using the K-Maen clustering visual, can I get the cluster value of each record in a table?

Can the cluster be saved as a measure? 

Thank you,

Tamir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: k-mean clustering table or measure

Hey,

as you have to consider the k-means visual as a closed job, this will not be possible.

I assume, you are somewhat familiar with R, at least you already have R installed locally, and also managed to install the required R packages to make the visual work :-)

Then you might consider to use R from inside Power Query using the 

Here is a very simple example, I use an R script as data source (Get Data --> Other --> R script):

#loads the iris dataset
data(iris)

# converts the iris dataset do a data.frame corresponds to a Power BI Table
df.iris <- as.data.frame(iris)

# removes the dataset from memory, the data.frame is still avalable
rm(iris)

This will create a table called df.iris, now i'm able to run a script from inside Power Query, of course it's not necessary to use an R script to perform the "Run R script" transformation, this is just to make R example complete, basically each table can be used as input, there can also be more than one R tasks used in one query. 

image.png

here I will use this very simple R script 

iriscluster <- kmeans(dataset[,1:4], 3,nstart = 20)
cluster <- iriscluster$cluster
df.iris <- cbind(dataset,cluster)

now my query has an additional column called cluster.

Unfortunately this approach has its drawbacks because a user can not interact (meaning filter) the initial dataset which may result to different cluster, but nevertheless you can use R to create additional information.

You also have to be aware that currently R script are currently not support by the "enterprise" mode of the on-premises gateway, just in the "personal" mode. So if you want to / have to share your data with your colleagues can become another challenge.

Hopefully this gives you an idea.

Regards,

Tom

Hamburg - Germany
If I answer your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: k-mean clustering table or measure

Hey,

as you have to consider the k-means visual as a closed job, this will not be possible.

I assume, you are somewhat familiar with R, at least you already have R installed locally, and also managed to install the required R packages to make the visual work :-)

Then you might consider to use R from inside Power Query using the 

Here is a very simple example, I use an R script as data source (Get Data --> Other --> R script):

#loads the iris dataset
data(iris)

# converts the iris dataset do a data.frame corresponds to a Power BI Table
df.iris <- as.data.frame(iris)

# removes the dataset from memory, the data.frame is still avalable
rm(iris)

This will create a table called df.iris, now i'm able to run a script from inside Power Query, of course it's not necessary to use an R script to perform the "Run R script" transformation, this is just to make R example complete, basically each table can be used as input, there can also be more than one R tasks used in one query. 

image.png

here I will use this very simple R script 

iriscluster <- kmeans(dataset[,1:4], 3,nstart = 20)
cluster <- iriscluster$cluster
df.iris <- cbind(dataset,cluster)

now my query has an additional column called cluster.

Unfortunately this approach has its drawbacks because a user can not interact (meaning filter) the initial dataset which may result to different cluster, but nevertheless you can use R to create additional information.

You also have to be aware that currently R script are currently not support by the "enterprise" mode of the on-premises gateway, just in the "personal" mode. So if you want to / have to share your data with your colleagues can become another challenge.

Hopefully this gives you an idea.

Regards,

Tom

Hamburg - Germany
If I answer your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 103 members 1,344 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: