Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

joinAlgorithm and keyEqualityComparers

In looking at the documentation for Table.Join and Table.NestedJoin, there is a brief mention of optional parameters of joinAlgorithm and keyEqualityComparers. However, I cannot find any information on how to use these. Does anyone have any examples of these? 

I particularly want to know if these can be used to support unequal matching conditions, for example, only join if > or < versus =.

@ImkeF?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Now I feel really honoured - thank you guys 🙂

Honestly: I haven't recognized these 2 parameters before. And while the MS-documentation holds some things about the joinAlgorithms in here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt296614.aspx, there's zero about keyEqualityComparers.

But with regards to the desired relative comparison here (< or >), I dare to say that they probably wouldn't help, as M distinguishes between equality and relational comparisons.

So in order to not let you down here, please have a look at the following query, which performs a relative lookup (and will hopefully appeal to you DAX-masters 🙂 😞

let
    Table1 = #table({"Key1"},{{10},{20},{30},{40}}),
    Table2 = #table({"Key2"},{{9},{19},{29},{39}}),
    RelativeMerge = Table.AddColumn(Table1, "RelativeJoin", 
            (Earlier) => Table.SelectRows(Table2, 
                         each [Key2]<Earlier[Key1])),
    #"Expanded RelativeJoin" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(RelativeMerge, "RelativeJoin", {"Key2"}, {"Key2"})
in
    #"Expanded RelativeJoin"

(This is nested row-context: Yes, we have evaluation context in M as well & fortunately it doesn't behave like a moving target 🙂 )

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.