cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User IV
Super User IV

joinAlgorithm and keyEqualityComparers

In looking at the documentation for Table.Join and Table.NestedJoin, there is a brief mention of optional parameters of joinAlgorithm and keyEqualityComparers. However, I cannot find any information on how to use these. Does anyone have any examples of these? 

I particularly want to know if these can be used to support unequal matching conditions, for example, only join if > or < versus =.

@ImkeF?

---------------------------------------

Not the Power BI thought police...

I have NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User III
Super User III

Re: joinAlgorithm and keyEqualityComparers

Now I feel really honoured - thank you guys 🙂

Honestly: I haven't recognized these 2 parameters before. And while the MS-documentation holds some things about the joinAlgorithms in here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt296614.aspx, there's zero about keyEqualityComparers.

But with regards to the desired relative comparison here (< or >), I dare to say that they probably wouldn't help, as M distinguishes between equality and relational comparisons.

So in order to not let you down here, please have a look at the following query, which performs a relative lookup (and will hopefully appeal to you DAX-masters 🙂 😞

let
    Table1 = #table({"Key1"},{{10},{20},{30},{40}}),
    Table2 = #table({"Key2"},{{9},{19},{29},{39}}),
    RelativeMerge = Table.AddColumn(Table1, "RelativeJoin", 
            (Earlier) => Table.SelectRows(Table2, 
                         each [Key2]<Earlier[Key1])),
    #"Expanded RelativeJoin" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(RelativeMerge, "RelativeJoin", {"Key2"}, {"Key2"})
in
    #"Expanded RelativeJoin"

(This is nested row-context: Yes, we have evaluation context in M as well & fortunately it doesn't behave like a moving target 🙂 )

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark my post as a solution. Thanks!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
tringuyenminh92 Memorable Member
Memorable Member

haha, i think you are asking correct guy @Greg_Deckler, @ImkeF will like this Heart

Sean Community Champion
Community Champion

@tringuyenminh92a slight correction - the correct gal Smiley Happy

tringuyenminh92 Memorable Member
Memorable Member

oh, After knowing your correction @Sean, I really want to show my admirable to her.

Super User III
Super User III

Now I feel really honoured - thank you guys 🙂

Honestly: I haven't recognized these 2 parameters before. And while the MS-documentation holds some things about the joinAlgorithms in here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt296614.aspx, there's zero about keyEqualityComparers.

But with regards to the desired relative comparison here (< or >), I dare to say that they probably wouldn't help, as M distinguishes between equality and relational comparisons.

So in order to not let you down here, please have a look at the following query, which performs a relative lookup (and will hopefully appeal to you DAX-masters 🙂 😞

let
    Table1 = #table({"Key1"},{{10},{20},{30},{40}}),
    Table2 = #table({"Key2"},{{9},{19},{29},{39}}),
    RelativeMerge = Table.AddColumn(Table1, "RelativeJoin", 
            (Earlier) => Table.SelectRows(Table2, 
                         each [Key2]<Earlier[Key1])),
    #"Expanded RelativeJoin" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(RelativeMerge, "RelativeJoin", {"Key2"}, {"Key2"})
in
    #"Expanded RelativeJoin"

(This is nested row-context: Yes, we have evaluation context in M as well & fortunately it doesn't behave like a moving target 🙂 )

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark my post as a solution. Thanks!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

Super User III
Super User III

Hi @MarcelBeug,

have you come across this already? Any idea how to use these parameters?

Imke Feldmann

MarcelBeug Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @ImkeF Now I'm honoured as well. Smiley Embarassed

As a matter of fact: yes, I came across this parameter as well.
From the function syntax * I learned that it should be supplied as a list, so I just tried with a silly list to see what would happen:
= Table.Join(KlantTabel, "Klantnr", OrderTabel, "Klant", null, null, {Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase})

As expected, I got an error message:
Expression.Error: Local evaluation of Table.Join or Table.NestedJoin with key equality comparers is not suported.

So my conclusion is that this functionality would only be usable with query folding.
Otherwise I'm not able to verify this, so I can only provide this information and nothing really conclusive.

* I created myself an interesting dashboard that generates function information, including syntax. Smiley Very Happy

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @MarcelBeug,

I'm really impressed by the pace of your learning. Meanwhile I'm learning from you 🙂

(Yes, I'm also running this kind of formula-overview, but in Excel in order to do full-text-searches when looking for functions that perform specific tasks :-))

Imke Feldmann

MarcelBeug Community Champion
Community Champion

In my Excel version (2016 from O365 subscription), the keyEqualityComparers are not included in Table.Join and Table.NestedJoin, so my research for this parameter was in Power BI Desktop.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)
Highlighted
JD1

Fantastic example!  Thank you for providing it.  Do you think the relative merge function you provided below can be modified with a Text.Contains function, so you could essentially do a partial text match merge on two tables?

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors