cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andresp_g

join tables vs relation between tables

Hi everyone,

let me explain what I'm trying to achieve. I have a table with my inventory information like this

DateProductColorValue

Also I have the information about how this product should be allocated by client like this

DateProductClientAllocation
11130%
11270%
12150%
12250%

The expected result is each client knows in units how many they have. The solution right now is to combine the two tables using a left join and multiply units per Allocation, but it significally increase the model size. Is there a way to relate this two tables, and create a measure instead?

Thank you so much for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: join tables vs relation between tables

Xue's formula has a flaw in it at the total level, because it is filtering 'Table' on MAX(Table1[ProductID] ) at the grand total level the max is equal to 2. So the SUM(Value) returns 650 and the SUM(Table1[Allocation]) is not filtered at all as the filter is applied to the other table, so it returns the sum of all Allocations which is 200%. So 650 x 200% = 1300

For logic like this you would be better to use a SUMX pattern to loop over one of the tables row by row. (I'm also filtering on both date and product as per your original requirement)

Allocated Value = SUMX( 'Table 1', 
  Var _date = 'Table 1'[Date]
  var _product = 'Table 1'[Product]
return 'Table 1'[Allocation] * CALCULATE( SUM('Table'[Value]), 'Table'[Date] = _date, 'Table'[Product] = _product) )

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andresp_g ,

I created a measure that you can have a try.

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value])*SUM('Table 1'[Allocation]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Color]),'Table'[Product] = MAX('Table 1'[Product])))

1.PNG

If it is not what you want, please share your expected results.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
andresp_g

Hi @v-xuding-msft , thank you for your reply!!

this is the expected result by line, however the total units doesnt seem to be equal, do you know how to fix it? Also I have the next questions for you:

- since there will be several products and days, how should be the relation between the two tables, should be a combined key made by date & product? or tables are not related?

- if the inventory table would have other columns as the color column, should be added in the filter parameter?

Once again thank you so much

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andresp_g ,
>this is the expected result by line, however the total units doesnt seem to be equal, do you know how to fix it?
For the sample data, the date is always 1. It can't be shown as a continuous line chart. Suggest you to try the measure and add the columns into Line chart based on your actual scenario. And which column do you mean for total unites?

>since there will be several products and days, how should be the relation between the two tables, should be a combined key made by date & product? or tables are not related?

For my sample, there is no relationship between the tables. You could try it firstly without relationship and check if it is what you want. And if there is any other calculation in your report, maybe you should create it.

>if the inventory table would have other columns as the color column, should be added in the filter parameter?

If you just what the result of the measure, you don't need filter. If you want to view the result of different color, you could add a color slicer to filter them.

(I don't understand your actual report, so probably can't reply you acurately. )

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Xue's formula has a flaw in it at the total level, because it is filtering 'Table' on MAX(Table1[ProductID] ) at the grand total level the max is equal to 2. So the SUM(Value) returns 650 and the SUM(Table1[Allocation]) is not filtered at all as the filter is applied to the other table, so it returns the sum of all Allocations which is 200%. So 650 x 200% = 1300

For logic like this you would be better to use a SUMX pattern to loop over one of the tables row by row. (I'm also filtering on both date and product as per your original requirement)

Allocated Value = SUMX( 'Table 1', 
  Var _date = 'Table 1'[Date]
  var _product = 'Table 1'[Product]
return 'Table 1'[Allocation] * CALCULATE( SUM('Table'[Value]), 'Table'[Date] = _date, 'Table'[Product] = _product) )

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Do you need help in Spanish? Check out our new Spanish community section.

MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

‘Better Together’ Integration Forum Launch

‘Better Together’ Integration Forum Launch

We've launched a how-to forum where you can learn about how Power BI integrates with other Power Platform products.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors