cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
M-P Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

issue with relationship between "to" and "from" table

I tried to setup the relationship as the example shown below.

From Table 1 to Table 2

figure 1.png

then "Close"

Then the manage relationship screen would look correct as shown below

figure 2.png

However After I selected "Close" the relationship table got reversed. Intead of from Table 1 to Table 2, it is now From Table 2 to Table 1 as shown below

figure 3.png

Obviously, I must have done something wrong, any help to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MP

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: issue with relationship between "to" and "from" table

Hi @M-P,

It doesn’t matter that how the tables display in the following screenshot.
2.PNG

When you click “Edit” button in the above screenshot, you should get a snapshot indicating that the relationship from Table 2 to Table 1 is Many to One, the relationship is same as that in your first screenshot and it doesn’t change.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
M-P Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Lydia for your help. I have used other similar database management tools in the past, and my setting for "from" and "to" relationship did not get changed automatically as Power BI, but I guess this is how Power BI works, so it is what it is.

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
M-P Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hello. I am new with power BI, so any help here would be appreciated. perhaps there is a bug? or does it matter which direction the table is linked to or from in pwoer BI?

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Hi @M-P,

It doesn’t matter that how the tables display in the following screenshot.
2.PNG

When you click “Edit” button in the above screenshot, you should get a snapshot indicating that the relationship from Table 2 to Table 1 is Many to One, the relationship is same as that in your first screenshot and it doesn’t change.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
M-P Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Lydia for your help. I have used other similar database management tools in the past, and my setting for "from" and "to" relationship did not get changed automatically as Power BI, but I guess this is how Power BI works, so it is what it is.

Thanks,

Dan-O Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I'm running into this issue as well, and the direction does matter. 

In my case, I'm taking a list of projects and pulling in the most recent scorecard data. I want to see all projects so I can see who hasn't completed a scorecard (record does not exist in scorecard table). When the relationship is reversed from even though the cardinality is correct, the data is cross-filtered in the wrong direction and I end up missing projects with no scorecard data.

LilyS Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem. Were you able to figure out how to fix it?