Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

M-P
Frequent Visitor

issue with relationship between "to" and "from" table

I tried to setup the relationship as the example shown below.

From Table 1 to Table 2

figure 1.png

then "Close"

Then the manage relationship screen would look correct as shown below

figure 2.png

However After I selected "Close" the relationship table got reversed. Intead of from Table 1 to Table 2, it is now From Table 2 to Table 1 as shown below

figure 3.png

Obviously, I must have done something wrong, any help to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MP

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @M-P,

It doesn’t matter that how the tables display in the following screenshot.
2.PNG

When you click “Edit” button in the above screenshot, you should get a snapshot indicating that the relationship from Table 2 to Table 1 is Many to One, the relationship is same as that in your first screenshot and it doesn’t change.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thanks Lydia for your help. I have used other similar database management tools in the past, and my setting for "from" and "to" relationship did not get changed automatically as Power BI, but I guess this is how Power BI works, so it is what it is.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI newbie.  Having same issue.  Any resolution ?

M-P
Frequent Visitor

Hello. I am new with power BI, so any help here would be appreciated. perhaps there is a bug? or does it matter which direction the table is linked to or from in pwoer BI?

Hi @M-P,

It doesn’t matter that how the tables display in the following screenshot.
2.PNG

When you click “Edit” button in the above screenshot, you should get a snapshot indicating that the relationship from Table 2 to Table 1 is Many to One, the relationship is same as that in your first screenshot and it doesn’t change.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm running into this issue as well, and the direction does matter. 

In my case, I'm taking a list of projects and pulling in the most recent scorecard data. I want to see all projects so I can see who hasn't completed a scorecard (record does not exist in scorecard table). When the relationship is reversed from even though the cardinality is correct, the data is cross-filtered in the wrong direction and I end up missing projects with no scorecard data.

wave
Regular Visitor

I agree, the direcction does matter. Do you have any solution?

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same problem. Were you able to figure out how to fix it?

Thanks Lydia for your help. I have used other similar database management tools in the past, and my setting for "from" and "to" relationship did not get changed automatically as Power BI, but I guess this is how Power BI works, so it is what it is.

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.