Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

irritating habit of power query (or maybe i dont get it) - but looks like a bug

If you want to replace all blank values in power query ie either "" or null i usually create a custom column i.e

if field = null then "not specified"

else if field = "" then "not specified"

else field

as you can see below this created a custom column 

Capture0.PNG

now when i go into edit it the format has changed to a conditional column

Capture.PNG

fine no problem but the issue is always with the "" ie blank field which works fine in the custom column, .  **bleep** then fails because it wants you to put a value in there?

anyone else had that?

see example below, assoon as you click ok

it fails and if you put "" in it, it just creates around 6 of them which you must delete out of the advanced editor.

Capture2.PNG

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is some logic behind it: if you create an if ... then ... else statement in the formula, then Power Query doesn't know if the resulting code was created by adding a custom column or by adding a conditional column, however....

Edit: in your case, you can adjust your code like:

if [Field] = "" or [Field] = null then "Not specified" else [Field]

I have another example, which is even stranger:

= Table.AddColumn(PrevousStep, "Custom", each if Date.IsInNextYear([Date]) then "Next year" else null)

Gives you:

Add conditional column 2.png

In this case, it is quite obvious that the code couldn't have been created with Add Conditional Column.

As a workaround, you can try and create something neutral that forces the Add Custom Column popup to appear.

In this example: concatenate "" to "Next Year":

= Table.AddColumn(PrevousStep, "Custom", each if Date.IsInNextYear([Date]) then "Next year"&"" else null)

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @vanessafvg

I know that it can be fustrating, and what I have done in the past is to go into the Advanced Editor and make my changes there when it tries to use the GUI for the Conditional Column.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Power BI Blog

sure, thats what i do now, however i hope they fix it soon 🙂

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

I agree, would be easier that way.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Power BI Blog

There is some logic behind it: if you create an if ... then ... else statement in the formula, then Power Query doesn't know if the resulting code was created by adding a custom column or by adding a conditional column, however....

Edit: in your case, you can adjust your code like:

if [Field] = "" or [Field] = null then "Not specified" else [Field]

I have another example, which is even stranger:

= Table.AddColumn(PrevousStep, "Custom", each if Date.IsInNextYear([Date]) then "Next year" else null)

Gives you:

Add conditional column 2.png

In this case, it is quite obvious that the code couldn't have been created with Add Conditional Column.

As a workaround, you can try and create something neutral that forces the Add Custom Column popup to appear.

In this example: concatenate "" to "Next Year":

= Table.AddColumn(PrevousStep, "Custom", each if Date.IsInNextYear([Date]) then "Next year"&"" else null)

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

interesting, thanks @MarcelBeug

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.