Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cmotsiop
Regular Visitor

installation bi desktop

I am rather new to Power BI.  I have a 64-bit system and in my first attempt to download and install the Power BI Desktop I indicated that I wanted the 64-bit version.  However, it was actually the 32-bit version that was installed.  It worked fine; I played with it for a day or two.  Then, when I opened the apllication a few days later, it warned me that an update was available.  It turned out that the update was actually the 64-bit version.  Did I do something wrong or is this standard procedure?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

When you download PowerBI Desktop, I think that the browser automaticaly detect your OS version. Perhaps the first time you've downloaded it, you were on a 32 bits computer, even if you've installed it on a 64 bits computer.

If you want to select a specific version, go to Power BI Desktop download and choose the Advanced download option.

Othervise, it should based on the OS version where you open the browser.

Hope it helps

Sébastien

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @cmotsiop,

I don't understand. You said "However, it was actually the 32-bit version that was installed", why didn't you change the version to 64-bit?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

When you download PowerBI Desktop, I think that the browser automaticaly detect your OS version. Perhaps the first time you've downloaded it, you were on a 32 bits computer, even if you've installed it on a 64 bits computer.

If you want to select a specific version, go to Power BI Desktop download and choose the Advanced download option.

Othervise, it should based on the OS version where you open the browser.

Hope it helps

Sébastien

Thank you, Sebastien.  Makes sense.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.