Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jwjwjwjwjw
Advocate II
Advocate II

individual month slicer on time range

I have a question for the board, it involves something I've been trying to resolve for quite a while and haven't really gotten anywhere. 

I have a data table with contracts as rows - two of the columns define the contract timeframe. There is a start date column and an end date column, with the contract to be fulfilled (shipped ) at any point between (in increments over the course of) the two dates. 

The concept is to use a slicer that can select an individual month (or possibly week) and display any contract that falls within that timeframe. Users can then look up geographic information on a map or contract details in a matrix visual, and then make decisions based on the contracts that have already been written. 

However, the custom date slicer can only slice by an individual time period (the start date OR the end date), and we really need to see all open contracts for the given period, not just the contracts that start or end in that period. Most of the contracts that apply are relatively short term so slicing by "begin date" is a semi-viable workaround, but it really does limit the potential of the tool. The whole point is to get a quick representation of our entire market at a given time, so missing contracts that started in January when slicing for July and/or slicing backwards in time is a problem. Perhaps somebody has come across this issue before, or could come up with a solution?I have yet to find anything viable. 

There isn't much to the data model, but if anybody needs to see it I could send along. 

Thanks, 

jw

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Check out this post, and follw their steps.  Your filter will be on the newly created column, just make sure your original Start/End Dates and whatever other data you need are in the graph/chart (Not the newly created dates.)

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Getting-all-dates-between-2-dates/td-p/60577

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Check out this post, and follw their steps.  Your filter will be on the newly created column, just make sure your original Start/End Dates and whatever other data you need are in the graph/chart (Not the newly created dates.)

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Getting-all-dates-between-2-dates/td-p/60577

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

I apologize for not getting back to this one earlier. I finally got a chance to try out the list idea and it worked as intended, though it does create a new row for each date and slow down the model a little bit. But as long as you aren't dealing with a massive database, this is a great solution. Thank you for the help. 

jw

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jwjwjwjwjw,

You may add two slicers, choose "Before" for start date and "After" for end date.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the reply, this does work but it isn't ideal.

Users don't want to fiddle around with 2 slicers that are (frankly) quite cumbersome, having to select individual dates on the calendar to change timeframes. 

I am hoping to find a solution where a user can shift timeframes with one click, but maybe it just isn't realistic at this point? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.