Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Abv46

incremental refresh rangestart and query folding

Hi there!!!

i’m trying to set UP incremental refresh, i’ve followed all the instructions but have two important questions:

-If my data star on 01/01/2008 and end on 01/01/2021 Wich date may use in rangestart and rangeend??

-When set the policies of incremental refresh power bi show the alert o cannot verify m code for query folding, my data is from a dataflow which source is a sql database, but for import table I ve used sql sentences por more accurate import of the table. I don’t know if this affects to query folding since I cannot view “native query” option in the steps of query editor..

thanks in adanvance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

-If my data star on 01/01/2008 and end on 01/01/2021 Wich date may use in rangestart and rangeend??

RangeStart and RangeEnd are the names of parameters which you setup in a custom filter over your date column. You don't enter values for them, the incremental processing engine injects values into these parameters.

-When set the policies of incremental refresh power bi show the alert o cannot verify m code for query folding, my data is from a dataflow which source is a sql database, but for import table I ve used sql sentences por more accurate import of the table. I don’t know if this affects to query folding since I cannot view “native query” option in the steps of query editor..

If you've typed in your own native queries this will block query folding. Folding is the process where M can take multiple steps and "fold" them down to a single SQL query, if you hand type your own SQL then M cannot reliably inject the date filters into this so it throws this warning. This means it would have to grab the entire data set and then filter it on the Power BI side rather than doing the more efficient operation of pushing the date filters into the WHERE clause of a SQL query.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

RangeStart and RangeEnd are the names of parameters which you setup in a custom filter over your date column. You don't enter values for them, the incremental processing engine injects values into these parameters.

If you've typed in your own native queries this will block query folding. Folding is the process where M can take multiple steps and "fold" them down to a single SQL query, if you hand type your own SQL then M cannot reliably inject the date filters into this so it throws this warning. This means it would have to grab the entire data set and then filter it on the Power BI side rather than doing the more efficient operation of pushing the date filters into the WHERE clause of a SQL query.

Is it possible when I use value.native query and try to insert the RangeStart & RangeEnd parameters in the my own query's where clause. Does this allow incremental refresh?
@d_gosbell 

I have done this successfully but started having problems just this week and the issue looks like it could be the combination of incremental refresh and value.nativequery.  Although my problem is not consistent enough for me to be sure.

This might work, but the only way to be sure would be to run some tests.

I think the incremental refresh configuration window will probably show some warnings as Value.NativeQuery will break query folding, but you can probably ignore these. The whole point of checking if query folding is working is because query folding allows Power Query to generate the WHERE clause for the relevant SQL query (if you are using an SQL source). So if you are using the RangeStart/RangeEnd parameters and manually injecting them in to the native query I think this might still work. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.