Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

scabral
Helper IV
Helper IV

incremental refresh date column

Hi,

looking for some advice on which column(s) I should be using when setting up incremental refreshes for my data set.

I am currently pulling data from a claims database and i have a column for a claim called InsertDate, which is when the claim was created in the system.  I also have a LastUpdateDate, which is when the claim was last updated.  Each claim has 1 row in the system and only the LastUpdateDate gets changed when the claim is updated.

Now, users can go in and update a claim from 30 or 40 years ago.  We have claims that go back to 1970 and sometimes these old claims are still being updated due to subrogration and other reasons.  Therefore, i would need to make sure that i capture all these changes in my incremental refresh period in order to not miss anything. 

I was originally thinking of using the InsertDate as my incremental refresh date for historical (first time load) and incremental load and then using the LastUpdateDate for the Detect Data changes field.  However, in order to capture all of the changes in teh system that could happen, i would need to go back 50 years everytime i do a refresh.  For example a claim from 1970 could get updated today and the incremental refresh would have to check all years going back to 1970 in order to capture just the change from today.  I feel like this is not really helping me much since all years will have to be queried in the source database which seems to defeat the purpose of the incremental refresh.  Am i correct in my thinking or am i missing something?

4 REPLIES 4
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @scabral ,

Hope the following documentations can help you:

Power BI Incremental Refresh - Understanding Detect Data Changes

Power BI tutorial- Data refresh and scheduling (Part 3)

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amaleranda
Post Patron
Post Patron

@scabral ,

You need to use lastupdated column in the dataset, below is a clear explanation of how incremantal refresh works. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pjmKI66iRQ

do not use the Detect Data Changes option?  Just use LastUpdateDate as the Incremental Refresh Date?  It will never be null, it defaults to the insert date the first time.

thanks

Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.