Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ukeasyproj
Helper II
Helper II

incorrect total for measure

I have a time entry table that is set up as follows:

UserID   |  Entry Date |  Duration| User Exemption Status | PTO/Holiday

Duration is just how many hours the user logs that day, User Exemption Status is either Exempt or Non exempt (a user can only ever be one of these).  If PTO/Holiday column has a value, then that entry should be ignored in my calculations below.

my visual is just a simple table that has the following columns, UserID, Regular Hours, OT Exempt Hours, OT Non Exempt Hours

-regular hours is how much hours the user logs for the selected period (if it is above 40, then display 40 only)

-OT Exempt Hours is for Exempt Employees, how many hours did they log above 40 if any for the selected period

-OT Non Exempt Hours is for Non Exempt Employees, how many hours did they log above 40, if any for the selected period

I have a date range slicer that basically is set to 7 days at a time

These are the measures I created which give the correct values on a per user basis, but the grand total is not what I am expecting:

Regular Hours = IF( [Hours Worked] > 40, 40, [Hours Worked]) + 0

Hours Worked = SUMX(  FILTER(RELATEDTABLE('TT_TimeEntries (2)'), ISBLANK([PTO/Holiday]) = TRUE()    ), [Duration]) 

OT Exempt Hours = IF( [OT Exempt Hours Worked] > 40 , [OT Exempt Hours Worked] - 40, BLANK())

OT Exempt Hours Worked = SUMX( FILTER('TT_TimeEntries (2)', [Exemption Status] = "EXEMPT"), [Hours Worked])

OT Non Exempt Hours = IF( [OT Non Exempt Hours Worked] > 40 , [OT Non Exempt Hours Worked] - 40, BLANK())

OT Non Exempt Hours Worked = SUMX( FILTER('TT_TimeEntries (2)', [Exemption Status] = "NON EXEMPT"), [Hours Worked])

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @ukeasyproj

This is a common problem because most users expect the Total row to just be the sum of the detail rows. Turns out that Power BI will evaluate the total row the exact same as the detail rows unless you specify differently. You can achieve this by using the HASONEFILTER function, because the row data will contain a filter and the grand total will not. An example measure would look something like this:

RealMonthlySum = 
IF(
    HASONEFILTER(Table1[Date]),
    TOTALMTD(SUM(Table1[SalesAmount]), Table1[Date]), --Logic for Detail Rows
    SUM(Table1[SalesAmount]) --Logic for Grand Total row
)

If you want further explanation, you can watch a video tutorial I posted here.

Hope this helps,

Parker

@Anonymous

Hey thanks for that, I can defintely use that

but my regular hours measure introduces another level of complexity where the hours cannot exceed 40, if they do, it takes it it as 40

for example if user 1 logged 56 hours for the selected 7 day period, it should display 40 instead, and when the grand total is calculated (it should use 40 not 56)

I am unsure of how to implement that logic for the grand total part

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ukeasyproj

Gotcha, that condition makes it a little trickier. Try this:

measure = 
IF(
   HASONEFILTER(Table1[UserId]),
   IF(
       [Hours Worked] > 40,
       [Hours Worked]
   ),
   SUMX(
       Table1,
       IF(
          [Hours Worked] > 40,
          [Hours Worked]
       )
   )
)

Because of the extra step, you need to use SUMX to specify how you want to take that sum for the Grand Total. Then you will get something like this:

HoursWorked.PNG

Hope this helps,

Parker

@Anonymous

Hey thanks for that measure, it works fine

but when I add in additional columns to the table related to the user's meta data (such as user's supervisor name), the measure breaks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ukeasyproj

Is that field from a different table? Could you post a snippet of the data that you're working with?

Thanks,

Parker

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.