Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mc1392
Regular Visitor

inclusion and exclusion

My users are very tricky.

They often need to find out if data in sheet A is present in sheets B and C.

And vice versa.

Staff usually do not have a set crieteria to do this filtering, so it's a bit exploratory.

This matching or no-matching can be done by an ID or even by a name, so hopefully there is

some leeway for fuzzy matching and such.

Can Power BI handle this?

How?

Could someone provide some insight into this issue?

4 REPLIES 4
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Hi

In Power BI there are ways to match data, but you would probably have to get it as clean as possible to get the best results using a few different methods.

How do you currently match things to together in whatever spreadsheets you look at?  vlookup?  

In Power Query i would do most of the cleaning, what are the issues with matching your data, what type of data do you want to use?  If you give more information, maybe help can be more specific?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

We currently load data into a real database(SQL Server or MySQL) and do the query there.

Problem with this approach is my staff users are not empowered to do this on their own.

We are trying to coerce users into getting their own reports, instead of continuing on with BIRT reporting, salesforce reports...

Ties up the dev team too much creating these reports.

Data types:

numbers

text

strings

names

dollar values

dates

Business related data.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/34252.power-bi-the-ultimate-guide-to-loo...

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

well as far as i know 2 of the primary ways to bring data together in Power BI is through Power Query with append / merge two or more data sets,  in the data model you can create relationships.  The complexity would probably come in for the fields you want  do fuzzy matching.  What are those fields? It is easy to link on the connecting dots between the data sources if there are unique fields that join them. Fuzzy matching would be a bit more challenging but it would depend on what you trying to join. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.